Please HELP ME, wiringtrouble!!!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersozzy

Reaction score
Hi

I am finished the rewire mod on my Tokai Love Rock, but when I plugg it in there is no sound not even a single noice the guitar is totaly silent. I have wire after this, and done it twice:

50swiringdp6.jpg

It?s made by GARAGERAT, hope you don?t mind me using the picture here. Here is my picture of my wiring.

What did I do wrong???? Please help me!!!!!

wpot.jpg

wswitch.jpg

Anders
Sweden

Did you replace the switch as well? The mistake I keep making is that the earth and middle lugs are inverted on US switches compared to stock MIJ switches.

No sound at all usually means you've earthed something you shouldn't have.

Thank?s Paladin2019

That did the trick, I replaced the switch and wired it wrong, I just change the wires you mention and now it works!!!!

The differens in the sound is just AMAZING, this become the best sounded guitar I ever played and own :D . Now I shall do it on my Korean Love Rock too.

Thanks again for the help you guys.

Anders
Sweden

congrats Anders, I'm just about to do the same thing! I've never done it before either.
Is that a switchcraft toggle you used? I'm just trying to get my head around the contacts on it and which wire goes where! :-?

andersozzy said:
Thank?s Paladin2019

That did the trick, I replaced the switch and wired it wrong, I just change the wires you mention and now it works!!!!

:D No problem! I've done that at least twice now, glad to see I'm not the only one!

For anyone else attempting this, remember that tokais need the long thread switchcraft switch - the standard one won't poke through the hole enough to screw on!

[/quote]

For anyone else attempting this, remember that tokais need the long thread switchcraft switch - the standard one won't poke through the hole enough to screw on![/quote]

Oh dear, I've just discovered that very problem! I can't find reference anywhere to a long thread switch though. I got mine from WD music supplies.

nickt said:
Oh dear, I've just discovered that very problem! I can't find reference anywhere to a long thread switch though. I got mine from WD music supplies.

This comes up so often we really need a 'sticky' thread for it! Maybe we could have a topic area devoted to tokai modifications and technical queries? Something to think about.

Back on topic - any allparts supplier should carry the switch you need. It's part number EP-0067-000 :)

Thanks, I got my switch from here:
http://stores.ebay.com/Rays-Custom-Shop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm
It?s a very good shop to buy from.
God luck nickt

Anders
Sweden

These threads on wiring have been great! I have changing caps in all my guitars, and WOW! They have become SO much more dynamic, responsive, and broader in extreme highs and lows!

Today I put Hovlands in one guitar, tomorrow I put them in another. They are a bunch better than the Orange Drops, but even the Orange Drops (for a measly one dollar!!!) are light years beyond those nasty ceramic disc caps!

How did I not know about this all these years?

Thanks again guys!

couldnt agree more, and never thought i would say that, always thought a cap was a cap, but then a valve aint a transistor either eventhough they are meant to perform the same function.

This just leaves one simple question that i havent heard a plausable answer to yet. Why do guitar manufacturers put crappy caps in when just a few cent/pence more make a significant difference???

As some of you know im doing a (non commercial) Japan guitar reference site and intend to put a page on wiring/caps under tech tips, if anyone wants to help doing this page drop me an email or a PM.

declan

declan said:
This just leaves one simple question that i havent heard a plausable answer to yet. Why do guitar manufacturers put crappy caps in when just a few cent/pence more make a significant difference???

I've never changed the caps on their own, I've only changed them in the context of a total upgrade. However, I'm skeptical that they make much difference in tone for the same reason that guitar makers get away with using crappy ones - you don't hear the signal that passes through the tone capacitor.

A tone cap bleeds your treble away to earth as you roll back the tone control. The more you roll off, the more it bleeds away until you get to 0 and it's running at maximum capacity - bleeding as much treble as it's capable of. Since the earthed signal isn't heard, the noise etc associated with cheap crap caps doesn't enter into the tone equation.

The only real significant characteristic of a tone cap is its value and the tolerance/margin of error to which it was made.

Before anyone accuses me of thinking too technically or anything like that, please bear in mind I'm the fool who probably owns the most expensive tone caps on the forum :lol:

they are expensive, so if you buy any, don't get stung :-?

ok, I'll get my coat..

Paladin,

Your thinking was my thinking a couple of weeks ago, it doesent make sense to me either but after sticking orange drops in a Burny, a new Tokai and a Sunn Mustang strat copy, they all had a noticeable improvement to my ear, a friends ear and, (I suspect she was lying) his partners ear who was in the next room at the time.

Possibly it is because they have better tolerances but something changed and I wanted to make sure if the caps made the difference so i upgraded them first. I was sure i was going to be posting back here with the news that fancy caps are a load of bu****it but i proved myself wrong three times. I dont think the difference is a large as some people suggest but no-one will ever persuade me that is isnt noticeable. Unless of course the caps in those three guitars were all way outside tolerance

Must try some of those bumblebees .... am i gonna need to remortgage :D .

Im gonna regret asking this question but is there much difference between bumblebees and vitimin q

...And people say as long as you are getting the proper amount of electricity, what power cord you use from the wall to the amp doesn't matter.

I've done blind comparrisons many times, and all these things that aren't supposed to matter, and indeed the paper says they don't DO matter!

I don't care what the science says if my ears know better.

Back