Love Rock Cherry Sunburst/Tuners - questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bashbrook

Reaction score
I have a Cherry Sunbust LS65 which I love apart from a couple of things: the ultra-red cherry sunburst finish and the stiff machine heads (tuners) which I have never liked and have damaged slightly making fitting some replacements desirable. My questions are:

1. Will the currently "none more cherry" finish ever fade, even slightly?
I would imagine not as I understand that Tokai don't use nitrocellulose laquer but I was wondering whether exposure to sunlight over the years might still result in a little bit of fading. (Yes I know I should have waited to find a "honeyburst", but I fell in love with the sound of this particular guitar)

2. Has anybody ever replaced the machine-heads on a Love Rock?
I'm wondeing if there's a set that would drop in without any kind of redrilling - which I suppose rules out locking types like Sperzels (which would be my preferred option).

Many Thanks

Hi bashbrook,

I know it's not the answer you want, but I honestly don't think you can get the poly finish to fade, I think the laquer will only yellow or darken (like an old acoustic). I have an 80's LR in Vintage Cherry sunburst -a beautiful deep "Brockburst"-like red - and I once attempted to lighten it in the sun: but the only thing that dulled slightly was the black headstock! Bring it back inside rignt now!!

I know tone is the main thing, but let's be honest - we all want a great looking top too! Is the LS65 a solid or veneer top? If it's gonna be your main squeeze, can it be refinished?

As far as tuners go, I don't thinks there's a shortage of proper replacement types, and I'm sure others on this forum will know what brands work.

Thanks Novosel

I had thought of trying the "leaving it in the sun" approach but as I live in the UK I'd get rusty humbuckers long before anything faded! Still, it might be worth going for that custom shop "aged replica" look.

I would have no problem with anything remotely like a deep "Brockburst" red (mine's more of a "postbox red" fading to "violent grafitti yellow). The plain 2 piece top seems to accentuate the primary coloured retina-burnout effect.

Anyway, it looks like I should just "shut up and play my guitar" as FZ would have said (come to think of it the cover of this album features Frank with a LP Custom featuring a remarkably similar "primaryburst" cherry top).

On the subject of tuners, you could buy another set of Gotohs - they make many different types, they are relatively inexpensive and are superb quality.

If you have a bit more cash, you could get a set of Grovers - as used on Gibsons, and many would say they are the best. But Gotoh are a better value-for-money bet IMO.

It shouldn't cost much to get a technician to do any drilling/fitting - probably ~?10. If you want to avoid all that, make sure you buy "kluson"-type tuners; they will fit the LR's post holes and screw-holes fine.

Yeah, I'd definitely go for Kluson-style. Guitars I've tried that have been retrofitted with the metal Grover type tuners have seemed way too top-heavy and unbalanced to me. You'll have to attach your strap around the nut. :lol:

I'm beginning to wonder whether my guitar is an LS-65 (mij)! My Cherry Sunburst finish is almost as muted as the violin type, the switch knob is aged beyond belief, it has a one-piece body and neck and is gorgeously authentic. Yes - I'm 53 years old and owned many Gibson Les Pauls over the years so I can tell you that the LS-65 is the least beautiful but the most faithful to the originals - believe me.

Except for the tuners. Gotoh make the "Kluson Vinatge Tulips" for a very reasonable ?40. They are very slightly oversize so you'll have to find a way of slightly "parallel routing" the holes. Bloody French - blame them for metrication.

Latest posts

Back