Gibson fakes

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pegcityrocker said:
Here's a guy selling what appears to be a Chinese copy out of Canada. From his feedback it looks like a few people have already bought them and seem to like them. It doesn't look too quality to me from the pics.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Les-Paul-Guitar-...0QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33040QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I already had a closer look to pics of those "GIBSUN". Some guys here have already bought one, now trying to get rid of them again. Quality is desastrous, e. g. I have seen Customs where the fake split diamond was so misplaced that the tuners ran right through. Hands off unless you have a bar and need some wallhangers.

I've said this before - I've got one and I don't see why you guys are so worked up about them being tat. Of course they're tat - what do you expect for 10 bucks?

Mine looks pretty good (really), and thanks to it's cunning ply-wood interior it's incredibly light. As the years advance, lightness is a good thing. With a replacement pups it sounds better that an Epiphone Les Paul I used to own.

Better still, it will almost certainly fall apart before I get bored with it. To add to the fun, it has confused several of my guitar-snob friends who desperately wanted it to plant a lot of egg on my face.

I checked with the seller before I bought and he was keen to assure me it was not a real Gibson - which is why I bought it.

This is the downside of fakes - this guy had this listed as a Ibanez Jem - no reference to it being a "replica" until he was pulled on it

I have a friend who was going to bid on this believing it to be genuine, I hope none of the current bidders have done the same........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....30002017563&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

unlike the cheeky chinese chappies, this just seems a little bit more dishonest (at least with a Fine Outstanding Harmonious Guitar you know what you are getting)

I have seen a Ibanez for sale with Ibanez spelling Ibanes copies are around you have to be savy enough catch it and just think copies of the copies are now showing up. You can Now go to Costco and buy a Starcaster by Fender and a Epoch by Gibson for $99.00USD. Would you call them copies of a Stratocaster and a Les Paul Jr.? They both have the Fender and Gibson name on them But they are nothing like the original.
I know where to get Rolex watches cheap.
FYI- G&L parts do not match to Fender anything and It was done on purpose to protect G&L against any copyrights and not to step on Fenders toes. So G&L`s are original.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Les-Paul-Guitar-Honey-Flame-Top-Gold-HDW-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ330000715370QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33040QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The frets are misaligned!!! It can't be from camera angle, they don't just bend, they are at different angles to each other!

Unbelievable at any price!

now,that's terrifying...gah...how can they even get away with that...
so glad to have gotten my tokai direct from japan...

Thats digital distortion in the camera !

Blimey I get that sometimes when I take pics of the guitars I sell. Usually because he has not resized the picture before submitting it.

"Starcaster by Fender"......OMG...why would you bother....they were ****** semi hollow bodies from the '70's from memory?

> You can Now go to Costco and buy a Starcaster by Fender for 99.00USD.

> "Starcaster by Fender"......OMG...why would you bother....they
> were ****** semi hollow bodies from the '70's from memory?

Nope, the late 70's Starcaster is not the same as the Starcaster you can buy at Costco. The current Starcaster is an entry level strat-type solid body.

Did you ever try one of the 70's semi hollow body Starcasters? They were not very popular, in terms of sales, but they were fine guitars.

Donkey Oaty said:
Thats digital distortion in the camera !

Blimey I get that sometimes when I take pics of the guitars I sell. Usually because he has not resized the picture before submitting it.

I am actually a professional photographer, and I have never, ever seen that happen. I'm not disputing your claim, I guess it's possible, but I would never buy a guitar that has an issue like that in the photo. Never before seen that occur on ebay either.

Red flag!

TSL said:
I would never buy a guitar that has an issue like that in the photo. Never before seen that occur on ebay either.

Red flag!

Sure, the buyer aint done no favours by including a crap picture, but many times I have had to retake a picture because of distortion caused by the strings and frets.

Olympus claimed it was some kind of crosshatch effect.

Either way I take the pic at an angle now and never have had issues since. One of the pics I took made the frets all look like they were facing towards the middle of the neck. Once I resized it for ebay it all sorted it self out.

Copy the pic into Photoshop and zoom in on it, you can see the pixels ( or lack of them ) giving poor definition to the straight lines.

This is for orvlleowner- Yes I have played a Fender Starcaster the 70s models - semi hollow body very 335ish/great guitar and never went over-Fender should have used another name for their entry level Costco guitars.

Are those guitars (Costco Starcasters) playable? I travel often, as I work freelance, and bought a cheap "mini" guitar to take along, but it is unplayable.

Would like something I don't have to worry about being stolen, that I can enjoy by myself for an hour or so couple times a week.

If you travel find a Cuaquita its got good action and it will fit in a suitcase .It also has a diMarzio pickup .- Cheap guitars that are better- First Line at wal-mart is built better and has better action.my nephew has one and it is good guitar for the money. The Starcaster is not made well.

Where can I find a Cuaquita?

Sorry, I can't go into a Walmart. Political. Sure you understand if not agree. Not trying to start anything, just can't go in there.

Understand about wal-mart - try internet and I saw an ad in Vintage Guitar I think they sell Cuaquitas direct They are based out of Austin Texas if that helps any.

Took a look, found the site right away, but didn't find prices. reviews say these are great instruments! I may have one in my near future...

Back