Is it me, or are my Love Rock PU's microphonic?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranjam

Reaction score
I have now gone through three Love Rocks, whose ages range from late 1980's to late 1990's, and they all have microphonic pickups. Or do they :-?? This is only apparently in very high gain amplifiers, yet my other guitars get spared. Is this normal? Am I going to have to pot the pickups? I plan on keeping my Love Rocks, but possibly not the pickups, unless there is something else I am missing. It can't be the electronics/wiring, can it :(?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I had the same thing with an LS 75 QVF.
Now given that the model is loaded with Tokai's 'vintage' pups could it be that Tokai are reproducing a proper vintage pup complete with microphonics?

Recently swapped that guitar to an LS LTD which was loaded with normal 'LP's' non vintage - no microphonics at all - lots of huge sustain when cranked - big smiling face :lol:

I would add that my Gi**on LP has microphonics at the same levels so it's not just a Tokai thing.

GB

ps I should have added that some microphonics can be caused (or at least made worse) by the amp - if the amp designer didn't bleed off enough the higher frequencies at the pre-amp stage then you do get worse microphonics. The cure for this involves opening up your amp so I won't go into it here, but try a different amp first!

No, I've tried two of my Love Rock guitars into an older Twin Reverb; no squeal. Plugged into any Fender combo or head; no squeal. Any super high-gain amp (Soldano, Boogie, etc.) Squeal City. Roll off some treble from the guitar or pull the volume control down to 8 or 9; no squeal. It only happens when the preamp section is 'dimed' in the high gain channel, and I can tap the Volume pot with my pick, nd hear it louder than my wife through the amplifier :eek:! I'll figure this out, and let everyone know. This will get 'solved'. I'll try the wiring before I do some radical like pot the pickup.

My LS-65 (MIJ 2001) came with Gotoh pickups (yes, I admit it - I tore the label off) - at home I was really impressed with the authenticity of the sound of the guitar - I'm an old rocker and REMEMBER - but on my first gig with my new guitar I got squeals and clanks (pickup selector switch).

The pickups are probably completely authentic, you have to admire the Japs for their attention to detail. I replaced them with Seymour Duncan 59s and my guitar is now perfick. Oh - and I sold the Gotohs for a good price, making the Seymours a little less expensive.

The original PAFs were built with a wooden spacer underneath the coils and Gotoh use plastic - I think that's the main difference. Seymour have really done a good job of replicating the PAF humbucker (but they don't tell you what kind of wood they use....)

Latest posts

Back