Favorite Guitarists?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
who the hell is that guy in Dragonslayer? Has anyone ever played that fast before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more favourites not included in my previous lists;

brian james
lee underwoood
jeff buckley
johnny marr
johnny thunders
dave davies
richard thompson

does anyone remember who the guitarist was in "Nutz".

coachman

hans-j?rgen said:
Schnabelrock said:
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Angus Young
Their brothers ain't bad either... ;)

Jimmie Vaughan is one of the most underated guitar players today and I'm a huge fan. I lived in Austin when Jimmie was with the Fabulous Thunderbirds and they were the house band at Antones - I spent alot of time there listening to them before they hit it big. Jimmie plays with the approach of "less is more". He once said in an interview regarding soloing that the object is not to play every note you know, just the right ones.

No doubt that Stevie was a monster but he always tipped his hat to his older brother - saying that Jimmie was his biggest influence.

04720-20jimmie20vaughan_std1.jpg

Yes, the Fabulous Thunderbirds are one of my favorite bands, too, and I also like Kim Wilson's and Jimmy Vaughan's solo albums. Nice picture, by the way!

Malcolm Young is also a very effective rhythm player and somehow the backbone of the AC/DC sound with his contrapoint chording licks vs. the beat and the melody lines.

Let's see:

Paul Weller
Mike McCready
John Frusciante
Jimi
Carl Barat
Angus Young
Django Reinhardt
Dave Grohl
Graham Coxon

hans-j?rgen said:
Malcolm Young is also a very effective rhythm player and somehow the backbone of the AC/DC sound with his contrapoint chording licks vs. the beat and the melody lines.

Absolutely - he is the the epitome of a rhythm player.

Robben Ford
Garth Webber
Larry Carlton
Chris Cain
John Wedemeyer
Drew Zingg
John Scofield
Matt Schofield
Wes Montgomery
Pat Metheny

On the acoustic side, Keller Willliams can do some truly ridiculous things. And Phil Keaggy always sounds great, in concert and on recordings.

Gary Moore
Eric Johnson
Michael Schenker
Neil Schon
Steve Lukather
Steve Morse

and others too numerous to mention..!!!

Very surprised to hear the choices people have listed here.

I offer up this list of "beyond human" as techincally amazing. Once you get to a certain level, it's all just a matter of personal taste. Not suggesting I am right about anything, just opinions...

The BEYOND human:

Steve Howe
Jeff Beck
Eric Johnson
Robert Fripp
Gary Moore
Joe Bonamasa

The extraordinary humans:

Andy Powell
Ted Turner
Ben Granfelt
Tim Renwick
David Gilmour
Bert Jansch
Richard Thompson
Ritchie Blackmore
Eric Clapton
etc.,

Other greats:

Jimmy Page, Duane Allman, Mark Knofler, Eddie VH, a zillion other guys...

Why are there (almost) no great American guitarists? OK, Hendrix I guess...I only care for the Brits myself.

Speaking of Americans (I am one)...
Not to pick a fight here, really, but it is a WIDELY held belief in the industry that Rick Derringer played ALL the guitar on those Guns-n-Roses recordings, and Will Lee played all the bass. I wasn't there, I can't say, but I have heard it from enough reliable sources that GnR weren't that different than the Monkees, I can't help but think it may be true. I never saw GnR live (don't care for the voice and especially most of the lyrics), but the vids I've seen suggest Slash isn't worthy of his rep, and may be surviving on the abilities of a "ringer". If I am truely wrong, my heartfelt apologies. the studio recordings do offer some terrific guitar, whoever played it.

Why are there (almost) no great American guitarists?

If I may:

T Bone Walker
Brad Gillis
Duke Robillard
Eric Johnson
Lowell George
Duane Allman
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Edward Van Halen
BB King
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jimmie Vaughan
Doyle Bramhall II
David Grissom
Mike Campbell
Junior Brown
Elliott Easton
Nils Lofgren
Joe Perry
Hound Dog Taylor
Lightnin' Hopkins
Robert Johnson
Johnny Winter
Ronnie Earl
Albert Collins
Billy Gibbons
Magic Sam
Otis Rush
Freddie King
Dick Dale
Link Wray

To name just a few.....

OK, I can agree with some of that list.

Thought of one myself:
Brad Paisley!I don't care much for Country, but this guy is over the top!

BTW, Eddie VH is Dutch.

BTW, Eddie VH is Dutch.

Well, by birth anyway......

Here's a couple more to add to the USA list of greats:

Sammy Hagar
Ronnie Montrose
Neal Schon
Randy Rhodes
Zack Wild
Jerry Garcia
Craig Chaquico
Grant Green
Charlie Christian
Mickey Baker
Les Paul
Tab Benoit
Chet Atkins
Vince Gill
Hubert Sumlin
Lonnie Mack
Luther Allison
Anson Funderburgh
J Geils
Leslie West
Buddy Guy
Steve Cropper
Junior Watson
Hollywood Fats
Barney Kessel
Ted Nugent
Robert Cray
Kid Ramos
Steve Miller
Earl Slick
Brian Setzer
George Lynch

:D

WOW! Am I a DOPE! I FORGOT LES PAUL!!! ---AND, ON A TOKIA FORUM! SHAME ON ME!

That said, the point I am making, is I really, really, really like the Brits approach to rock guitar. I actually don't care for most of the people listed just above. Not that they are bad, just don't reach where I live inside.

Having recently been to England for the first time, they should at least have plenty of guitar joy for the troubles of living in that country! Granted it's WAY cool, but the weather!!! -And while I really like brick, EVERYTHING being brick does get a bit oppressive, especially with the clouds and rain. This coming from someone who has spendt a great deal of time in "Frostbite Falls" USA!

Seriously, not knocking England, going back soon. I was however surprised by the lack of comfort there, the heat didn't really work in any hotel I stayed in (many expensive ones), the plumbing was unrelieable, etc. Guess I'm just a soft American (as I was told multiple times every day)...I'm not overwieght, but as a middle aged arthritic American, it was a real eye opener.

The Fru.. John Frusciante

I love his old stuff and equally like his newer stuff but for different reasons, he's knows what to play and more importantly what not to play

plus i like his style and anyone who pays 30k for a gretsch and then gigs it every night ranks in my books

Here are mine

Paige (Duh...)
Hendrix (Duh some more...)
Hisashi (He's the lead from a Japanese group called GLAY)
Vai
Satriani
Malmsteen *Correct me if I'm wrong on my spelling*

I've heard of an old Japanese guitarist, "CHAR", I know someone mentioned him earlier. I've yet to find his music, even with all of the Japanese music I have... Anyone know where to find it?

Having recently been to England for the first time, they should at least have plenty of guitar joy for the troubles of living in that country! Granted it's WAY cool, but the weather!!! -And while I really like brick, EVERYTHING being brick does get a bit oppressive, especially with the clouds and rain

LOL

And we all dress like chimney sweeps and speak like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. :D

Gawd Blimey Guv'ner !!!!

Malmsteen *Correct me if I'm wrong on my spelling

Dunno if it's a myth but apparent when Yngwie played london in '85 the gig was packed full of Bruce Sprigsteen fans- The Boss was also in town and they erroneously believed it was a warm up gig, played under a false name

And now for something completely different. I grew up in the 80's and never cared for "exessive noodling". The first guitar player I heard that struck the right chord to my ears was Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols. From there we go to;

Joe Strummer - NO ONE played with as much pasison as Joe.
Mike Ness - You've got to love the attitude he plays with.
Brian Setzer - Though he tends to get exessive on the noodling it always manages to sound right. Plus he's my kids favorite.
Thurston Moore - This guy does some wild things with his guitar.
J Mascis - I could never figure out how he could play and sing those songs at the same time.

So there's a bit of differnet list of guys with an alternate slant on guitar playing. They may not be the most technical but they're the ones that fueled my passion for guitars and music in general.

Latest posts

Back