Cool Super Real SG up on ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magentaplacenta

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/GRECO-JAPAN-SG-STD-1981-SUPER-REAL-RARE-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ7422937759QQihZ016QQcategoryZ47073QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not a SG guy, but this one tempts even me! If you're in the market, here ya go, probably won't see another for a long time.

I've got the same vibrato on my 1976 Ibanez 2457 and personally I find it better to use than any Bigsby-equiped guitar I've used. I've had no tuning problems with it either. Sure it's not for people who like to divebomb but it suits my style perfectly.

now that looks nice! Defo my kind of thing going on. It's funny there was a time that I didn't like SGs or those tremolos, but now I can't get enough of them! I thiunk that it's definatly right that it's an aesthetic thing, no other piece of kit really has the look of that tremolo, and on the right guitar it looks the good, just like the Bigsby can look really good too. I dunno how much I'd actually use it cause my core guitars dont have them, I'm sure I could find a use though - that would justify buying that guitar yeah!! ;)

Well it's ok if the guitar is just an ornament to your living room. But for a player, those maestro-whatever tremolos keep the guitar out of tune. :cry:

But I must admit that they look good.

I got one on a firebird, I almost don't use that guitar anymore because of that tremolo.

While I was at work I was thinking about if I could afford this, every hour there brings me ?6 closer, less what I already have on my credit card for the last one..

I do still fancy the tremelo arm, though I'd have to think about the tuning problems, I was having a look over ebay and found this thing which I think I've seen similar in the back of some mags. I dunno if anyone has any experience with these after market no modification type units, I'd appriciate any knowlage about it.

The Maestro Vibrola is FANTASTIC, ...IF you LOVE wang bars. I do, I just cut a whole in my new Firebird to add one! Don't throw things at me please, it's only an FR-53.

The Maestro (curved metal blade) is unique and wonderful, but only for the slight de-tune. Think Wishbone ash, Moody Blues, etc. It will NOT dive Bomb! If you try, it won't really do it, and may cause SLIGHT tuning issues. If you take a light touch approach to it, it is great. They were somewhat unpopular, I think largely because of novices not knowing what they were doing (no offense to any one here who had a bad experience with one). Hard core Stop Tail piece guys HATE this trem above all others. VERY IMPORTANT, if your nut "catches" at all, tuning is an issue with any trem, even if you have locking tuners. Lubricating the nut is worthwhile on any guitar...as has been discussed recently on this forum.

On the topic of locking tuners, I've had Sperzals, and liked them. However, if you only do a single winding when putting strings on ANY tuners, the instrument will tune better. Bending after all does something not that different from a trem. I know people who put 1/2 dozen windings on the tuner, but I feel that just gives more opprotunity for the windings to loosen when playing hard, and then return to a different, out of tune spot. I play hard, but am gentle with the trem, maybe an odd approach, but I have excellent tuning consistancy.

As for the Les Trem on Ebay. I have one, now in a drawer. The major problem I had with it was related to the arm. These currently available have an arm mod, and are certainly better. Additionally, this seller seems knowledgeable about how to maximize them. The price is low as well, compared with what they generally cost. Worth a try if you really want to detune while playing. They sound/behave much like a Bigsby.

Sorry if I added to this thread getting off topic.

*I REALLY want this SG, but am waiting to buy another Les Paul first, I won't bid against you, but it is VERY VERY tempting. Hopefully the price won't enflate at the last minute.

Latest posts

Back