hello there, could someone tell me what guitar i have?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredy

Reaction score
Hello there, i have owned a "gibson" flying V for a couple of years now and i have been recently informed that i could acctually have a tokai.

The serial number is 3014364 and it is inked and stamped into the back of the head stock. There is no other writing on the guitar apart from a gibson logo and i dont think there is any writing insde the guitar but i can't really remeber.
Here are some pics of it:
picturestoMay2006118.jpg

picturestoMay2006172.jpg

Any ideas what it is?
Cheers

it has a set neck and nothing on the pickups or the machine heads, next time i change the strings i willl have a look inside.

Hmmm.....yours could very well be an 83.

Mine is a 67 or 68 version with a stamped, not inked serial number of 4020310 - same 7 digits as yours and according to my research, mine is an early 80's issue. My tuners are stamped with "deluxe" and p'ups have a "Tokai 57 PAF" gold sticker on the back of them. Awesome guitar purchased from a forum member (thanks Gottfried)

Here are a couple of pics:

FVcreme20120Large1.jpg

FVcreme20620Large1.jpg

it wouldn't surprise me if the tuners have been changed, there is some clear damage to the headstock where it looks like someone was a bit careless with a drill or pushed in the new ones with a bit too much force. Also, the previous owner obviously didn't want anyone to know that the guitar was a tokai so he/she would have probably taken off the stickers on the pickups.

would you know how much its worth, i think i may have been ripped off a bit when i bought it, ?600 with hard case.

If it were a Gibby, I don't think you were "ripped off" price wise - in fact assuming that the exchange rate to $USD were about $900, I'd say that was a very fair price. But if it's a Tokai, you may be on the high end of it's worth now - due to the Gibson logo and lack of Tokai markings or parts in order to verify it's pedigree.

But if it sounds great and you're happy with what you paid for it, then you've accomplished what you want with any guitar purchase. Ultimately, it's worth what someone else will pay for it.

Cheers,

Marcus

nah, it sounds awful - its very fizzy. Ive taken some pics of the guitars guts, there has definately been a sticker on the pickups.
IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

Thanks for the help.

Looks like the real thing (Tokai that is). The size and shape and placement of the missing stickers is about right for the Tokai 57 PAF sticker. Mine also have the two extra screws on the back - opposite the pole piece screws.

Have you had it's electronics looked over to see where the problem lies? Are the pots scratchy when you dial them? Is the pickup selector switch crackly and does it work in all three positions?

May just need a good cleaning or the pots and/or switch might need to be switched out. You may also want to test the output on each of the p'ups to make sure that they are working correctly and to get an idea of how balanced the output is.

marcusnieman said:
Looks like the real thing (Tokai that is). The size and shape and placement of the missing stickers is about right for the Tokai 57 PAF sticker.

Well done, Marcus. I agree.
The pup cavities looks as well 100% identical for a Tokai, too.
fredy, hey, enjoy it.

The mahogony on that is gorgeous! If it's a Tokai, the build quality will definitely be there; it just needs some tweaking on the electronics side.

its nice to clear the mystry behind my V, i will stick some bareknuckles in it one day when i have the cash to spare, they will make it sound sweeeet :D

Thanks for the help everyone

Latest posts

Back