LC 185

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TUNAFREAK

Reaction score
Ok Hans, why would I be happy with a LC 185 in wine red? I do admit it would look and sound different do to its construction. I really want a guitar made with Honduran mahogany but I don't want to spend 3 or 4 thousand for it. I'm even looking at a Navigator N-LP-380 LTD in lemon drop for about $2200 us. I think Tokai went a little to high on there top of the line LP.

Mark

I'm not sure if you would be happy, but I would probably... ;) If it has to be Honduras mahogany and the Navigator cheapo has it, then buy it. :)

One more question Hans, Is that fixed type bridge going to give me problems with intonation? I like p 90's and I really think that model will become rare . I do want that wine red one also, what would you get if given the chance? LC 185 or LSS 175? Have you had any guitars by Navigator?

Navigator uses Honduras rosewood for finguerboard instead of brazilian rosewood as Tokai do. I would be very please trying a NLP Navigator but it's on 500.000 yen price to a comparable Tokai and pickups are pretty hot(ceramic magnets) on these. Now I'm very curious about playing a new LS380 model 8) .If Navigators Lps are on a par as their stratos then they are excellent guitars,top quality and far better than regular Fender CS......

TUNAFREAK said:
Is that fixed type bridge going to give me problems with intonation? I like p 90's and I really think that model will become rare.
I don't think so, at least I haven't read from anyone owning this kind of guitar that they would not intonate properly.

I do want that wine red one also, what would you get if given the chance? LC 185 or LSS 175? Have you had any guitars by Navigator?
Since I have P-94 pickups in my 1981 LS120, I have covered that kind of sound already like you have with your LS145S. I'm most interested in the sound of an all-mahogany arched top Les Paul while the LSS175 is a flat top, and I also like the classy look of that see-through winered finish and gold hardware better.

Concerning the ESP Navigators I haven't played them, but until now they were always too expensive compared to a Tokai with the same specs.

I've recently gained interest in this guitar, I didn't think it was necessary to open another topic, so I'm reviving this one...

has anyone compared a maple top custom to a mahogany top one, sound wise, I know they're supposed to be different, but has anyone actually had the chance to compare both?

I must admit this lc-185 is begining to interest me quite a bit...

I have an 82' LC-100 (wine red, mahogany top). It is not as bright as your typical maple top. There is, perhaps, a little more depth to the tone and a bit less snap. The all-mahogany is offset a little by the ebony fretboard which I'm sure brightens the tone a bit over rosewood.

Course' I didn't even know that they were making an LC-185. What are the specs?

thanks allthumbs, one of those LC-100 would be great, but they're hard to find... anyways you can see the specs of the LC-185 here:

2006_05.jpg

Back