What did I buy??? Plz help identify my new Tokai...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dopey1978

Reaction score
Tokai.JPG

Tokai-Body.JPG

Picked this up a few weeks back, but it has no markings/made in/serial number or anything to identify where it came from or what model it is. I take it that it's a 335, but I don't know anything else.

Any idea where it was made and what the model number is?

Many thanks!!

Where was it made? How much did it cost?

If it was made in Korea, it would be an ES60.

If it was made in Japan, it would be at least an ES100

Robert1950 said:
Where was it made? How much did it cost?

If it was made in Korea, it would be an ES60.

If it was made in Japan, it would be at least an ES100

Don't know where it was made - no markings at all! I bought it in Canada and it was about $500. I'm guessing it's a MIK, but I haven't seen another like it anywhere!

Jim Jones said:
I'm not sure what they're called but they aren't as highend as a MIK ES60.

Jim

Thanks. I'm not really concerned with it being highend or anything cause I the feel and sound and everything work just right for me.

With the 3 Screws on the truss rod cover and the headstock dimple this identifies it as a Made in Korea NES60

A japanese version would have had a red oval label visible in the top f-hole with the model and serial number on it

Nice looking guitar :D

Its not made in Korea and its not an ES-60. I don't know the model number but I do know that guitar is made in China.

I'll bow to JSD's greater knowledge dopey1978 - sorry if I mislead you

He sells these guitars for a living :D

Hi Dopey1978... Me thinks it is Chinese.

Does it look like this:

http://www.helmusic.com/listingview.php?listingID=421

You have almost the same identical guitare as mine except for a few exception on the configuration of design, it is japan I can assure you of this for a fact, how much did you pay for it and if it is less than a thousand dollars you still made a killing, high end guitare from tokai dont always have ID for an exemple the neo series wich is very rare dont have any at all and some of the jap one standard issues where ink stamp from mid 70's to about 82 or 83.
Dont be shy man this is an awsome axe and sounding very sweet and kinda rare I know I have two Tokai in the same model I have although it differed slightly it is to my knownledge and research a genuine japan production so enjoy the new baby and play it hard for she as the tones the real tones.

have a good one man
Normand

Hmmmm... I hate to disagree. I am almost positive that it is not Japanese. For example, the truss rod cover has 3 screws. I thought this was a dead give away that it was not Japanese.

Second clue: I paid $600. New (no case, tax not included). I can't imagine getting a Japanese Tokai for this price.

Third clue: I did not see it in the Tokai catalogue. Certainly nothing with Grovers or a Bigsby.

Finally, you and I are the only two people who seem to know about this guitar.

It really doesn't matter where it came from. The bottom line is that it sounds wonderful. I am not planning on selling it anytime soon. Please contact me if you find out anymore information.

Dunno how relevant this is but Tanglewood make a range of Semi's in china - they have the model number TH-501, TH-502 and TH-503.

The TH-502 is stunningly similar to that one (with the exception of the headstock, which is OB style). Just wondering if these guitars originate in the same factory.

Obviously that's supposition on my part ! (based on the DH-502 model no on RossW's link!!

Maybe we are the luckiest stiff, for I have it from tokai manuf....... Korean nor chinese one use mother of pearl and abalone cause it is too expensive and as I said not all Tokai japan are in catalogue, confirmed By Tokai itself. but Hey who am I to dispute Tokai hahaha! go have a look at mine on ebay. Mine as natural mahogany bindind around body and along the fretboard another give away that it can't be korean for they use nacre or plastic.
Check it out, anyway I will let you know as soon as tokai sends me the rest of the info on my axe maybe they can help you too, but got to admit it sounds to good to be korean they're electronics sucks awfully, nothing to do with the tones I have coming out of mine, and korean are made with a more than questionable finishes & construction you have to agree on this point.

hope to hear what you have to say hahaha! this discussion is getting interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciao
Normand

bruceboomstick said:
Dunno how relevant this is but Tanglewood make a range of Semi's in china - they have the model number TH-501, TH-502 and TH-503.

The TH-502 is stunningly similar to that one (with the exception of the headstock, which is OB style). Just wondering if these guitars originate in the same factory.

Obviously that's supposition on my part ! (based on the DH-502 model no on RossW's link!!

I just visited the tanglewood website (http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/stockDetails.asp?cID=520&sID=1842) It looks very similar to my guitar.

What suprised me is the similarity between the name - DH-502 and MH-502, seemed a little unusual.

I recently got a Tanglewood MH-501 which is a bare mahogany with naked pickups (sort of studio style) - it's got a lot of nice touches like abalone inlays. Better than that it also plays fantastic and cost less than a night out !!!!

Someone told me that the tanglewoods originate form the same factory that produces the Ibanez artcores - but I can't veryfy that and would treat that as "myth" until proven.

Back