NGD 1981 LS100S ON All Mahogany Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! I haven't been able to log onto the site for over a week for some reason.

Thanks for the translation Hamamatsu!

And hunter, those are mind blowing guitars you have. I am sure they are a dream to play if they sound anything like mine. I'm still in awe of this guitar every time I plug it in.

I need to pull the bridge pick up and double check the grain. Seeing yours just has me scratching my head. From what I can tell mine has to be an "S" model because of the color/year. Another Tokai mystery.

I'll report back after I open it up again and look.

Thanks for the help!

So I opened mine up again and it is a one piece mahogany top over a one piece mahogany back.

Wondering if there was a change during the year?

The serial on mine is 1011064 (solid top over solid back)

The serial on settebello's is 1013434 (solid top over solid back)

It's hard to see hunter's serial numbers in the pictures. Would be interesting to know.

I just want to reiterate that this is about the most amazing guitar I’ve ever owned or played. It’s a dream and I can’t imagine anyone selling this guitar.

The only other guitar that I’ve experienced like this that seems to play itself and sings like this was a prewar Martin dread nought.

So funny how muted it looks because it sure doesn’t sound that way. Glad I didn’t judge this book by its cover. I got super lucky.

The lyric to a Jerry Garcia song comes to mind. “Don’t wanna brag about ya too much, give the others ideas...”

One bright spot for 2020. :)

Just curious if we know what the fretboard wood is?

It has some red in the grain like a Brazilian rosewood (not saying it is, could also be Indian rosewood) and streaking not unlike Macassar ebony, although it does not look like Macassar in my opinion. I am leaning towards a rosewood..

These pics were taken with a flash and are not natural lighting

Anyway, just curious what the consensus is?

Note: You can see where a corner of the pearloid fret marker is missing on the 17th fret, and was likely filled when they did the re-fret.

aLdwEsU.jpg

4lPe7oG.jpg

Check the below TF thread link, and check my post from Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:31 am.
According to the scan that I saw it shows the LS-200 as the only 1978 - 1982 LS model with a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard.
The LS-150 & lower models are all listed as Rosewood for the fingerboard.
Is that correct? Who knows.

http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=192449&sid=01b2cd86996cdf219742a9eafefc3e5d#p192449

Sigmania said:
Just curious if we know what the fretboard wood is?

It has some red in the grain like a Brazilian rosewood (not saying it is, could also be Indian rosewood) and streaking not unlike Macassar ebony, although it does not look like Macassar in my opinion. I am leaning towards a rosewood..

These pics were taken with a flash and are not natural lighting

Anyway, just curious what the consensus is?

Note: You can see where a corner of the pearloid fret marker is missing on the 17th fret, and was likely filled when they did the re-fret.

Sorry everyone, been so busy.......

1985 LS-100 Mahogany Brown with fret end binding and recently sold it to Canada.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147832065@N08/albums/72157713652201623/with/49706300501/

I also have a 1980 LS-100 Mahaogany Brown which I am keeping.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147832065@N08/albums/72157667439898138

Here is a 1981 Tokai LS-100S OR Joe Walsh Model with Hang Tag..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147832065@N08/albums/72157717877568653

Cliff

Thanks guitar hiro. I had seen that post and it got me thinking. All of the Indian rosewood I’ve seen has more brown tone and Brazilian has red.

It doesn't matter much to me, but I was curious anyway. Thanks.

Hey Cliff, Aloha! Hope you’re doing well.

Thanks for posting those pics. Amazing guitars.

Do you know if the LS100S guitars you have are one piece or one over one (one piece cap over a one piece back)?

And did you ever decide why the "110" sticker on the 1980 LS100S ON?

Thanks so much.

I wanted to link this other thread. Has an interesting discussion of the LS100S on page 2.

From Peter Mac:

“ I do own an LS-100S ON from 1982, all original with DiMarzios, etc as well as a LP Standard and I find the sonic differences quite noticeable, as do others that play them. Mine is an '82 : 2011172....

As far as the LC-100 and LC-110 - they did use the same 1 piece carved body as the LS-100S.
This I know as fact .”

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9750&start=15

Note that Peter Macs LS100S guitar is an 82 and the all solid one piece body, and he is saying the LC100 and 110 are as well. Very interesting.

Hi guys,

These guitars are absolute killer . . no doubt.
Mine was a 1982 (S# 2011172), still all original and a little lighter than yours at 3.9kg.
The neck was a 1960s profile - the flatter type - which I didn't like and would have preferred the fatter 59 style used on the '81.
In regards to the body, I believe they shared the same body used on the LC-100 and LC-110,which is a 1 piece carved Mahogany body
as opposed to the LC-60s 1 piece Mahog body with 2 piece Mahog top. Think LC-100 body with LS neck.
I did change the pot/cap setup also to a 50s wiring loom which really brought the guitar to life.
I have a great photo of it with my '59 Gibson getting some sun in the backyard during 2015...
At the moment I have a 1981 LC-60 with a slightly fatter neck, but that LS100S . . .so nice.
regards
Peter Mac

Nice Peter. Please post pictures if you get the chance.

I got a Noble pot from a member in Australia and just had it installed.

When I got it home it sounded a little different. I’m wondering if they messed with the pickup height. They mentioned it when I dropped it off and I didn’t make a point of asking them to not mess with anything except switching the pot. I need to ask if they did anything else. I’m also having issues with my right ear, so it could just be me.

Just noticed that the 1981 catalog appears to show the LC100/110 as one over one, not one solid piece of wood...

MAMyQxK.png

HI3jUD1.jpg

And the Joe Walsh model, the LS100S OR is in fact one piece and called the "1957 Rare Model" in the spring 1982 catalog.

Also note in the translation below that they seem to be confirming the S stands for special. They call the LS100S OR the “old red special model”.

ULM8PRx.jpg

FBuu2Ga.png

hunter said:
I have 3 of the 1981 LS100S models. Two red and a gold top. All three appear to me as being solid one piece mahogany blanks carved with the archtop.

Check out the translation I just did. Maybe the GT is a "Rare Model" as well then?

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26113

The LS100S ON is definitely different. They are one over one.

Back