where are you from?

Discussion that is not Tokai or guitar focused.

Moderator: ned

Post Reply
HAMAMATSU
Guitar God
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:20 pm
Location: YOKOSUKA, JAPAN.
Contact:

where are you from?

Post by HAMAMATSU » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:20 pm

8) my name is jo yoshida and i am originally from yokohama but lately yokosuka, japan. i am 48 and a guitar shop salesman and i have been playing the guitar since i was 15. i am a blues guy and into any good guitars very much. i was so into gibson/fender only before but now i am interested in any guitars. i didnt know much about tokai and MIJ guitars before i joined to this forum. this forum just gave me all the important knowledge and so i am so appriciated! thank you so much everyone and ned! i love this forum so i really hope this forum will come back popular again like before. dont know what happened exactly but its been a very poor shape here since. i try whatever i can do as much as i can do for this forum. so good luck! anyways, how about you guys?

@ if you have any japanese article that you want me to translate in english then ask me. i studied the english in california in the 90s so its ok!
Last edited by HAMAMATSU on Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

HAMAMATSU
Guitar God
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:20 pm
Location: YOKOSUKA, JAPAN.
Contact:

Re: where are you from?

Post by HAMAMATSU » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:22 pm

QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

brokentoes
Guitar God
Posts: 1834
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:20 pm
Location: Canada

Re: where are you from?

Post by brokentoes » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:21 am

I hail from a town south west of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

HAMAMATSU
Guitar God
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:20 pm
Location: YOKOSUKA, JAPAN.
Contact:

Re: where are you from?

Post by HAMAMATSU » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:33 pm

8) thanks brokentoes! how about you guys? luis? marcus? bob? raph? mike? villager? mickman? ozeman? more?
Last edited by HAMAMATSU on Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9109
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: where are you from?

Post by marcusnieman » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:16 am

I was born in Seattle. Moved to Alameda, CA (SF Bay Area) when I was 12. From there I've lived in Oklahoma, Austin, Chicago and now Dallas for many years.

mdvineng
Guitar God
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:01 am
Location: manchester

Re: where are you from?

Post by mdvineng » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:26 am

Manchester UK but soon to retire and relocate to Madrid Spain 8)
Tokai VSB80 OF, Michael Kelly Patriot custom, Epiphone Elite SG & EB3. 8)

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9109
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: where are you from?

Post by marcusnieman » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:34 am

mdvineng wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:26 am
Manchester UK but soon to retire and relocate to Madrid Spain 8)
Friend and workmate of mine from nearby St. Helens did exactly the same thing.

mdvineng
Guitar God
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:01 am
Location: manchester

Re: where are you from?

Post by mdvineng » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:12 am

marcusnieman wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:34 am
mdvineng wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:26 am
Manchester UK but soon to retire and relocate to Madrid Spain 8)
Friend and workmate of mine from nearby St. Helens did exactly the same thing.
My partner is already there, having taken a research and lectureship post at Madrid Uni. Lockdown has meant a longer separation than envisaged :cry: but we have to do what we can :)
Tokai VSB80 OF, Michael Kelly Patriot custom, Epiphone Elite SG & EB3. 8)

HAMAMATSU
Guitar God
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:20 pm
Location: YOKOSUKA, JAPAN.
Contact:

Re: where are you from?

Post by HAMAMATSU » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:29 pm

marcusnieman wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:16 am
I was born in Seattle. Moved to Alameda, CA (SF Bay Area) when I was 12. From there I've lived in Oklahoma, Austin, Chicago and now Dallas for many years.
8) sorry to ask you this question cause you were probably asked million times before! have you seen SRV in person? were you possibly a good friend of him marcus?
QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9109
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: where are you from?

Post by marcusnieman » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:38 am

HAMAMATSU wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:29 pm
marcusnieman wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:16 am
I was born in Seattle. Moved to Alameda, CA (SF Bay Area) when I was 12. From there I've lived in Oklahoma, Austin, Chicago and now Dallas for many years.
8) sorry to ask you this question cause you were probably asked million times before! have you seen SRV in person? were you possibly a good friend of him marcus?
Saw him several times.... first time was in 1982 in Oklahoma - he was opening for Huey Lewis and the News. I thought.... wow, who the hell is this guy. After I moved to Austin, saw him a couple times before he really hit it big - playing smaller clubs but they were packed. Stevie was no secret to the Austin music scene. Not even close to being a friend of his.... just a huge fan. The one album that caught my ear before he hit it big was David Bowie's Let's Dance..... he played guitar on the whole thing and I think it's one of Bowie's best records. Give it a listen here - Stevie's playing is unmistakable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0ODoeBc04g

Bowie wanted Stevie to tour with him in support of the album but Stevie chose to go out on his own in support of his first album Texas Flood that came out at the same time..... 1983 I think.

Truth be told, I was actually a bigger fan of his older brother Jimmie and his band The Fabulous Thunderbirds also playing Austin.... this was long before they hit it big with the Tuff Enuff album in the mid 80's. Stevie was a monster, Jimmie is fantastic in his style too.... he's a "less is more" kind of player.

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9109
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: where are you from?

Post by marcusnieman » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:47 am

Here's another one from Let's Dance, Joe..... Stevie does a great solo on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbLegcKgIc

ned
Guitar God
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: where are you from?

Post by ned » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:58 am

I live in Austin, TX but grew up in Houston. Have seen SRV numerous times and Eric Johnson more times than I can count - he's worth seeing anytime especially if he's still doing the Ah Via Musicom shows with the original band.

Got to meet Shohei Adachi (CEO of Tokai) numerous times at NAMM in the 90's, shared food and beverages with him on a few occasions.

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9109
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: where are you from?

Post by marcusnieman » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:39 am

ned wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:58 am
I live in Austin, TX but grew up in Houston. Have seen SRV numerous times and Eric Johnson more times than I can count - he's worth seeing anytime especially if he's still doing the Ah Via Musicom shows with the original band.

Got to meet Shohei Adachi (CEO of Tokai) numerous times at NAMM in the 90's, shared food and beverages with him on a few occasions.

Hey Ned, did you ever go see Nick Curran (RIP) during his time in Austin? Mike Barfield?

HAMAMATSU
Guitar God
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:20 pm
Location: YOKOSUKA, JAPAN.
Contact:

Re: where are you from?

Post by HAMAMATSU » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:45 pm

8) thank you very much for your great stories marcus and ned! i appriciate your tasty experiences. i just really wish if i could see SRV, it would have meant so much to me then. saw EJ once in the 90s in california, he was so great ofcourse. these people, the great texans! the real deal cool !!!!!!!!!!
QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

ned
Guitar God
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: where are you from?

Post by ned » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:07 am

Marcus- never saw either of them.

Have seen David Grisham play in a small bar, post Mellecamp, that was really cool.

Post Reply