Tokai Goldstar Japan vs Korea - Can you help identify?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 trees are mid to late 80's and it is model level dependent.
Ser#?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133445833254.

11 screw pickguard is K

Not sure. Ser# would help but it's probably in the neck pocket. Neck radius will confirm, flatter =K 7.25=J
I'm still looking for more info. I edited an above post and now fairly sure 90's Korean. The pictures on Ebay show what looks like a flatter radius fret board and 11 screw PG.

I asked the seller about the radius i'll see if he knows. One thing i'm wondering - it's a 60s style strat... didn't those have 11 screws anyway?

The seller confirmed the radius is 9.5 inch, so that would be MiK. Thanks for your help :)

This is interesting. If it is eighties, then I don't think Korean manufacturing had started by then. So is it MIJ? If the string trees were transitional then it could be. It does have a flat board, but then again there are spit tuners, but they don't say deluxe??? No idea...

Did they make any MIJ guitars like that at all?
I remember my friend buying a MIJ guitar in 1989 that looked similar. Only thing is it does have a very flat fret board. All MIJ tokais I’ve played have a rounder radius.
Did they make any MIJ guitars like that.

You can tell the difference looking at neck construction, near to headstock.

His Everyone.
Thanks for reply. I actually bought it. Plays nice and sounds good but looks very basic... I've had the whole thing apart...
Body is a lighter wood but not not ply/composite and routed for a HSS configuration?? (go figure?)
Neck is flat and truss rod is at body end, no volute at headstock. Scratchplate has yellowed allot so late eighties to mid eighties I'd say. Seller said late eighties.

There is no identification mark anywhere!!! PUPs don't like MIJs either.

I'm a bit gutted it's not MIJ tbh. I saw 'late eighties' IN TITLE and knowing all late eighties Tokais were MIJ put in an offer. I then saw the text on listing and saw the MIK possibly.

Still great guitar and nice neck so will probably update HW. Anyone got any suggestions for a good replacement bridge/trem?

Cheers

His Everyone.
Thanks for reply. I actually bought it. Plays nice and sounds good but looks very basic... I've had the whole thing apart...
Body is a lighter wood but not not ply/composite and routed for a HSS configuration?? (go figure?)
Neck is flat and truss rod is at body end, no volute at headstock. Scratchplate has yellowed allot so late eighties to mid eighties I'd say. Seller said late eighties.

There is no identification mark anywhere!!! PUPs don't like MIJs either.

I'm a bit gutted it's not MIJ tbh. I saw 'late eighties' IN TITLE and knowing all late eighties Tokais were MIJ put in an offer. I then saw the text on listing and saw the MIK possibly.

Still great guitar and nice neck so will probably update HW. Anyone got any suggestions for a good replacement bridge/trem?

Cheers

Can you post pictures? The ones above are no longer available.

I have been trying to sort out some mysteries, and might be able to shed some light on your guitar if I could see it.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back