NGD....ES100J

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
I bought this last week on YJ. Looks hardly played and in great condition. case is generic but all else is supposed to be original. Does anyone have a jazz model and if so what do you think of the pups??….Pics are from auction as I may be waiting awhile for shipping to resume to the U.S

8) very very cool philly bob! why you always get fantastic ones? anyways, really seriously very cool your new ES is, hope it arrives to usa safe soon. waiting for more pics then! you used to be a very zep-les paul guy before and now you are more into the strats and ES? are you a blues guy now philly bob? if so then are you playing in a blues band in philly? very cool if you are! one more question here:about the famous philly cheese steak! do you eat it often philly bob? are they so good? so popular in philly? i wish i could eat those in japan. we ofcourse dont have it here but only the subways.....yokosuka joe.

Congrats, it looks mint! Based on experience with two ES100J's, the 'J' pickups are very low output and actually sound pretty good. I had mine changed for OX4's (again low output) and it's not a night and day difference.

Mind, changing pickups and pots in an ES is one of the most frustrating jobs ever...

HAMAMATSU said:
8) very very cool philly bob! why you always get fantastic ones? anyways, really seriously very cool your new ES is, hope it arrives to usa safe soon. waiting for more pics then! you used to be a very zep-les paul guy before and now you are more into the strats and ES? are you a blues guy now philly bob? if so then are you playing in a blues band in philly? very cool if you are! one more question here:about the famous philly cheese steak! do you eat it often philly bob? are they so good? so popular in philly? i wish i could eat those in japan. we ofcourse dont have it here but only the subways.....yokosuka joe.

lol Joe... cheese steaks are fine but more of a Primo hoagie guy :D

Emiel said:
Congrats, it looks mint! Based on experience with two ES100J's, the 'J' pickups are very low output and actually sound pretty good. I had mine changed for OX4's (again low output) and it's not a night and day difference.

Mind, changing pickups and pots in an ES is one of the most frustrating jobs ever...

Thanks Emiel, no plans to mod. it

Mine came with TTops, yes that ones. It came from someone in Holland who made some changes to get a tooling gigging musician from it now reverted to original. I changed for a Dr V, special set I have and to Antiquities later. It is a R model.

Lovely guitar!
What is the neck profile on vintage ES100s?
Is it generally same as the LS from the period? Any big differences?

mattbarlow said:
Lovely guitar!
What is the neck profile on vintage ES100s?
Is it generally same as the LS from the period? Any big differences?

Based on my experience with two 1980 LS80s and two 1981 ES100s... I'd say the LS80 has a more rounded '58 profile, the ES100 feels a tiny bit slimmer.

If I recall, the ES100s were based off 1959 ES335's so that might explain the slimmer neck. It's a not a big difference though, I like them just as much.

hunter said:
According to Peter's book all early ES models have the slim 60's U shape

Definitely not 60's slim taper. I have an 81 ES100J and they were built to 59 ES335 specs - right down to the neck profile and long pick guard.

Another early 81 ES-100 owner here.
Neck is a bit thinner at the nut than a LS model but not thin slim taper. It gets fatter as far as going down the neck.
I can measure if anyone is interested in.
Really good ES-335s.

I have a ‘81 J. Not sure the pickups are stock. There was some tomfoolery with the harness. I swapped the magnets to UOA5. The high end with the original magnets was pretty harsh and the pickups were a bit thin.

My neck is narrower at the nut and slimmer than my LS120, which is a touch slimmer than my LS80. It’s slimmer in the cowboy chord area than any other “59” taper neck I’ve played.

Did these originally come with zinc saddles? My 2 LS guitars had brass saddles and I find it a little odd that the ES had zinc. I swapped to a Hosco bridge with brass saddles and it really tamed the harsh high end.

I have owned several Tokai ES examples, vintage & newer, and they all had anemic necks; that is why I eventually sold every one of them.
If there are Tokai ES examples out there with larger type neck profiles I have yet to have one in my hands.
This is baffling because i have heard others report they have Tokai ES examples with 'such & such' neck profile/thickness.
This would make me inclined to believe that Tokai has some inconsistency in their production.
Tokai lost me on this point so, I gave up on any longer seeking any Tokai ES examples going forward.
Oh well; I'm more into LPs anyway. :lol:

Latest posts

Back