I finally became a very unhappy Tokai owner.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have said it often takes Tokai 3 -4 days to get back to an email query. I have had to email them a couple of times about non serial Tokais i have etc... they did always get back to me. Now with the Corona i would imagine it might take longer.

Youre taking off pickups just to look for flaws!
Sell the guitar, you're never going to be happy with it.

To my eye, thats a mahogany body with a maple cap. There looks to be paint on some of the maple within the cavity, but not on other parts so it just happens to look like a second layer. Il put 50 quid on that being a standard maple top on a mahogany body.

PAV Vintage pickups are always going to be tokai branded pickups, thats what tokai call their pickups. to expect them to be something else is just silly.

But regardless of all these disappointments, you bought a guitar based on what was probably a google translation and are now unhappy some of the description that was lost in translation didnt match expectations.

The guitar is soured in your mind now, you will never be happy and always feel cheated. Return it, swap it, sell it because it wont bring you joy.

schmintan said:
Youre taking off pickups just to look for flaws!
Sell the guitar, you're never going to be happy with it.

Just to clarify,
I removed the pickups to check if they were branded Gotoh or if they something else, I was curious. It was interesting as they are described as Tokai products therefore I wonder if they are made in house...for the record they are very good, I planned to replace them but I changed idea.

Having said that the discovery bugged me because this "custom model" is $1000 more expensive than a LC203S or a LC235 (the latter in all mahogany), having already spent $600 of custom duties I don´t even know if I can ship it back and in Europe selling a $2600 Tokai is quite hard as for that money you can get an used Gibson. Plus I didn´t need to remove the pickups to see the flaws on the fingerboard.

In conclusion, I am very unhappy, I cannot sell it, I doubt I can ship it back without losing even more money...I am in seriously unpleasant position.

8) talk to the kurosawa international headquarter office only, not with the shop anymore. it doesnt matter how much it cost already but this is totally the kurosawa's fault and responsibility. if they dont treat this ok then its their sin really. so talk to the intl office, the email addy given above. i am sure they do the right thing this time. kurosawa isnt bad usually. they are usually ok/good. so please try. and hope its ok then. good tokai luck!

Sorry you’ve been ‘misled’. I can’t help, but reading your story reminded me of a similar situation my cousin got into with Fender.
He bought a USA Strat via GAK. He’d chosen the guitar because of the spec (can’t remember exactly), but when it arrived it didn’t have the solid steel tremolo block, as promised.
There were other differences, too, (parts made in China) and the whole thing became a farce. Fender offered to change things on the guitar, including the block, but the new steel one didn’t fit!!!!!!
After 3 months of emails, etc, the guitar was returned and refunded.
Seems that sometimes, companies manage to fulfil their orders by ‘utilising other stock’.

I think you should dig your heels in and get what you asked for.

Hodge

Back