Please help me !

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molotovkyle

Reaction score
I bought a snow white Tokai LP in Canada.

Can't seem to find any info on this thing.

Was wondering if someone could help me out?

Thanks!

https://we.tl/t-W1X6EcM1wM

This we transfer link should work for the photos!

I think it's a 2001?

It's hard to tell because the photos are still terrible (what does it say on the back of the headstock???), but it looks like one of the old US models. Japanese made but with a shape and control layout intended to pacify a certain big brand's lawyers.

I think it's a 2001 but there's not much info out there about these because they were rather unpopular. Everyone wanted the version that looked like the originals. Probably similar in spec to the more recent LC110S but with Gotoh pickups.

I remember these .......... Is it an ebony or a rosewood board ?

It's a sticker at the back of the neck right ?

Yes it is!

I'm not sure what the fingerboard is.

I just played it and it felt **** good so I bought it on a whim and hoping I didn't get hosed since I read about lots of fakes.

Pretty sure those were real Tokai's.

Like Paladin says they were made that way to try to get into the U.S. and Canada without Gibson freaking out. There was a few different headstock shapes and tone/volume mods they tried.

It would be cool if it was a Ebony board.

Did you get it in Mississauga ??

In Kitchener!

At Sherwood music.

I paid 1000$ for it. I'm hoping I didn't over pay too much...

It just felt GOOD and it sounds good.

I played a bunch of grecos/burnys and none of them felt as good as this one.

I'll have a friend tell me what the fretboard is on Wednesday and will let you know.

It'll be rosewood for that model/year. The Customs only started getting ebony on the premium series about 5 years later.

You may find a bit more info if you take out the pickups, sometimes the model number is pencilled into the cavity.

It's nice that it still has the MIJ sticker, they don't often survive!

You'll all thank me for coming back here shortly from the looks of things around here.
This guitar is in NO way a Tokai..!!!
Tokai have NEVER made a single guitar EVER with an Epi headstock.
What the hell is wrong with you all.....the poor guy has over paid for a fake.
Nice to see that nothing changes in Canada...the home of fake Tokai for years.

So because the LesPaul forum says it's legit...it must be legit?
I stand by my statement....it's not a tokai...100%.

There has been some real ones that had wonky headstocks and sometimes even the volume and tone were backwards. Some had the paddle style Epiphone elite headstocks. They were made by Tokai japan. I've seen the routings and other details to know this is true. I'm in Canada so i know what the many fakes look like as well. They don't have Tokai Japan routing and other easily identifiable non MIJ Tokai characteristics. Now i can't say 100% that this one is legit because it is not in my hands. However The North American market did get some of these oddities. You can believe anything you want to believe mind you.

Ozeguitarguy said:

No, it's legit because Tokai made those guitars for a number of years around the turn of the millennium for the US market, as stated above.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020609005900/http://www.tokai-guitars.com/guitars.html

As you can see on this Wayback Machine snapshot of Tokai's own website from 2002, this is an NLC70S. 'N' for North America.

Ozeguitarguy said:

Welcome back? :lol:

Ozeguitarguy said:

It was for further opinions and not supporting the guitar in anyway, try not to jump to assumptions.

These look like they were Korean built...Agile maybe?
They've got a similar headstock and stumpy lower bout.
This wasn't the Canadian Tokai site from the 80's was it :p

Ozeguitarguy said:
These look like they were Korean built...Agile maybe?
They've got a similar headstock and stumpy lower bout.
This wasn't the Canadian Tokai site from the 80's was it :p

Not Agile. Tokai Japan.

Website is the official English language Tokai Japan website.

We've answered the OP's question. Stop trying to muddy the waters.

You are claiming to be some sort of authority, here to clean up the mess we've apparently made of this forum in your absence and yet here you are arrogantly pushing a point which is demonstrably wrong. Your opinion is just that - an opinion - and you should grow up and accept that other people have equally valid ones (and can back them up).

Back