Authenticity

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The tokai spring sound body if mine has a pencil ST markings and serial number on the neck pocket but has no recesses on the pickup cavity , no markings on the body.

It has no markigns on the fretboard and has a norrow neck plate and black bobbin A pickups

My concerns is the authenticity of the body of my tokai

Let me help Jeremy here.

I was having a conversation with him about his Tokai acquisition on a Facebook group.

To me, it looks like an '82 ST-60 Springy. All is present and correct for this date, except for the body. The pickup routings don't match the Springy, nor the later Goldstars.

Here is the body - Jeremy is having problems posting links:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ceVTvA3c1oXktLvM9

I was trying to explain about the recesses in the pickup cavities.... Here is my 1978 Springy:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4viyU8aKDEXBDBZn9

And my 1983 Springy:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zMn4qr9wnTeF1Mmk6

Not only does Jeremy's body not have this, but the bridge pickup wire routing does not look correct, and there are no stamps.

For reference, here is a later Goldstar (post '84 or '85) when they changed the routing:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GD5E4PMzA7Zxbet76

Jeremy is looking for further comments from forum experts as to the origins or authenticity of his body.

Well, to get the full picture, we need to have enough photos of the guitar in question. Providing measurements of the neck plate spacing would be good as well.

From looking at hundreds of auctions on ebay/ yahoo over the years I can say that I have seen pictures of an 1978 Springy without the pickup recess holes. (ST-60 stamped neck pocket and serial on neck heel)

There are two different "narrow" spaced Tokai neckplates before the change to standard spacing in 1981/1982. The early (ca. 1978) neckplate without the serial number is the narrower one of the two. Bear in mind that most aftermarket strat bodies already have holes drilled to the neck pocket to fit a standard spacing. If these holes haven´t been altered (filled / redrilled) it could be that the body is genuine Tokai. I can´t think of any other manufacturer who has used this hole spacing.

Len said:
Well, to get the full picture, we need to have enough photos of the guitar in question. Providing measurements of the neck plate spacing would be good as well.

From looking at hundreds of auctions on ebay/ yahoo over the years I can say that I have seen pictures of an 1978 Springy without the pickup recess holes. (ST-60 stamped neck pocket and serial on neck heel)

There are two different "narrow" spaced Tokai neckplates before the change to standard spacing in 1981/1982. The early (ca. 1978) neckplate without the serial number is the narrower one of the two. Bear in mind that most aftermarket strat bodies already have holes drilled to the neck pocket to fit a standard spacing. If these holes haven´t been altered (filled / redrilled) it could be that the body is genuine Tokai. I can´t think of any other manufacturer who has used this hole spacing.

Sir thank you for your response i can send the whole pictures to you via email sir. Whats your email sir?

I've never seen a Tokai Strat older than '84 '85 without the pickup recesses.

Nor does the pickup routing on this body match any Tokai of of the '70s/'80s.

I can only say from examining the 35 or so Goldstars and Springys I currently have, and further ones I have sold on, and of this forum.

Further, there are no Tokai stamps with the colour code and two-part numeric code.

I am still waiting on an answer about the neck plate size too.

Suki said:
I've never seen a Tokai Strat older than '84 '85 without the pickup recesses.

Nor does the pickup routing on this body match any Tokai of of the '70s/'80s.

I can only say from examining the 35 or so Goldstars and Springys I currently have, and further ones I have sold on, and of this forum.

Further, there are no Tokai stamps with the colour code and two-part numeric code.

I am still waiting on an answer about the neck plate size too.

It was proved by the experts sir that its a legit tokai japan domestic first 1000 production . My tokai is made for japan not for export.

Jeremycanlapan said:
It was proved by the experts sir that its a legit tokai japan domestic first 1000 production . My tokai is made for japan not for export.

First 1000? They started making these in '77. The serial is for an '82, so how can it be of the first 1000 built?

Suki said:
Jeremycanlapan said:

First 1000? They started making these in '77. The serial is for an '82, so how can it be of the first 1000 built?

The serial is 1978's

Suki said:
Serials denoting age are on the neck plates.

The 77 and early 78 has a narrow neck plate with no serial stamp. The serial can be found on the neck 7 digit number 800xxxx for 77 or 78

I'll have a look in Peter Mac's Tokai book and see what it says about the early Springy's. If it has the narrow neck plate it's definitely an early Springy.

/Mike

I have already told him what it is in private messages using info from Peter's book but someone else gave him an un educated opinion and so it goes around and around.

Ok, to me everything looks ok, very early '78, serial on the neck heel (first digit looks like an eight) - no serial on the neck plate. Electronics look ok. Since it seems to be a very early Springy I wouldn't worry to much about the markings on the body.

I have an '82 Springy - it's built exactly like the early Goldstars except for the logo. The serial is also like on a Goldstar - a Fender serial corresponding to the replicated model year.

/Mike

Just bought a Tokai, hoping it is genuine ? Sent an email to japan, shopped online and got a guitar with a water slide headstock decal, posing pics. Any advice ?

SELL

MENU
CLOSE
Electric GuitarsAcoustic GuitarsBass GuitarsAmpsEffects and PedalsDrums and PercussionPro AudioKeyboards and SynthsDJ and Lighting GearMicrophonesFolk InstrumentsBand and OrchestraSoftware & PluginsRecorded MusicHome AudioAccessoriesParts
Tokai Springy Sound ST 50 Stratocaster '57 1981 Black
Sorry, this listing is no longer available.
Tokai Springy Sound ST 50 Stratocaster '57 1981 Black
By Tokai Springy Sound Listed 5 months ago by Tony's Vintage Guitars Condition: Excellent 596 Views
Sold!

Description
Beautiful ‘81 vintage ST 50 Strat from Tokai , great condition, looks new from a foot away but also looks like an almost 40 year old with the natural patina in the wood! U stamp Dimarzio pickups, final prospec saddles and DELUXE tuners! Comes with the case pictured, all original with the tremolo arm, 7.3 lbs, typical 50’s medium C neck, plays like a dream, straight neck, no adjustments made. Not a lot of play wear at all, has one mark on top bout (pictured), 2 small rub marks on back, one on the front, nothing penetrating the wood.Ask anyone who knows or owns one, good as or better than anything made by F since the late 60’s! If shipping is less, I will of course refund the difference. Please ask any questions
Read less

Shinescheid said:
Just bought a Tokai, hoping it is genuine ? Sent an email to japan, shopped online and got a guitar with a water slide headstock decal, posing pics. Any advice ?

It should be a waterslide decal just like the old Fenders had.

Mike

Thank You Javelin for reply.

UnFortunately I see that anybody can buy A Tokai waterslide decal for the headstock.

I did not see a stamp on the fretboard near the 21st fret.

Would the springy sound 50 have a stamp there or would it be on the neck or not at all ? all I see is a 50 decal Near heel joint

Shinescheid said:
Thank You Javelin for reply.

UnFortunately I see that anybody can buy A Tokai waterslide decal for the headstock.

I did not see a stamp on the fretboard near the 21st fret.

Would the springy sound 50 have a stamp there or would it be on the neck or not at all ? all I see is a 50 decal Near heel joint

1981-82 does not have the fretboard stamp. The decal replaced the stamp and is often missing.

Mike

Latest posts

Back