ST40

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's an interesting guitar, Suki.
Why do you think it's 1984/5/6?
Everything looks okay to me for the entry level Springy Sound from 1982.
The L serial number doesn't quite add up, in my opinion, but I'm sure someone will advise.
Does anyone else have concerns?

It's because the pickup routings aren't correct for a Springy. Also, spaghetti Springys had allen key adjustments for the truss rod, not cross-head as with later Goldies.

Everything else is 100% correct, and the decal looks a bit 'fresh'. I assume it has been reinstated with a decal - the trend in those days was to scratch off the Tokai decal (and even put a Fender on on!).

In that case, the saddles have been replaced from Final Prospec to the older Tokai ones.
Also, the bridge block has 'made in Japan' stamped on it.

They don't always match - but they mostly do. When they match, it's a quite likely confirmation that they belong together. If they don't match, it could be that it was made like that, or that it's an assembly of sorts afterwards.

I don't think anyone knows 100% what the number codes mean, but the most popular theory is they are MM=DD date codes. This is on the basis that nobody has seen the first number higher than 12, or the second higher than 31.

I have a 100% original 1978 Springy with body and neck codes 12=10 and 12=9. It seems quite plausible they were manufactured one day apart.

Latest posts

Back