Confused by Tokai models/ nomenclature etc...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuthbert

Reaction score
Hello forum!

In am in working exile in China and I miss my R0, I was thinking to get a Tokai from nearby Japan but...to be honest I am confused by the number of models modern Tokai offers and how they are named. I assume the higher the number the more premium the guitar is but...here comes the difficult bit:

LS = Les Paul
LC = Les Paul Custom?
HLS = Vintage specs LP?
KLS/KLC = ??? Custom models? With all the upgrades of the H series?

Finally I found out some models are just called "Reborn old", how do they fill in the Grand Scheme of things? I have seen on ebay Germany a shop offers very nice looking (and expensive) Les Pauls DC "reborns" but they are not available in Japan.

In short...there's so much confusion, and I can't get no relief.

8)

LS = Les paul Standard.
LC = Les paul Custom.
HLS = Hibiki Les paul Standard.
KLS = Kurosawa Les paul Standard.
ES = Electric Spanish.

@ hibiki is a tokai distributer in japan who ordered their special spec tokai guitars from tokai lately. kurosawa is one of the top guitar dealers who also ordered their special spec tokai guitars from tokai lately. tokai germany orders their own spec tokai guitars and so their guitars have the original specs of tokai germany. such as a "Reborn" logo instead of "Love Rock" of tokai japan. some says that HLS means that "historic les paul standard" but i have never heard of it so in japan. i understand that the people wish so but i personally believe that it just means HLS is hibiki les paul standard.

HAMAMATSU said:
8)

LS = Les paul Standard.
LC = Les paul Custom.
HLS = Hibiki Les paul Standard.
KLS = Kurosawa Les paul Standard.
ES = Electric Spanish.

@ hibiki is a tokai distributer in japan who ordered their special spec tokai guitars from tokai lately. kurosawa is one of the top guitar dealers who also ordered their special spec tokai guitars from tokai lately. tokai germany orders their own spec tokai guitars and so their guitars have the original specs of tokai germany. such as a "Reborn" logo instead of "Love Rock" of tokai japan. some says that HLS means that "historic les paul standard" but i have never heard of it so in japan. i understand that the people wish so but i personally believe that it just means HLS is hibiki les paul standard.

Thank you very much for the explanation! I have also seen some "reborn" sold in Japan too, in particular a very attractive faded Standard with "histerical" humbuckers...sadly sold out.

Generally speaking what is the neck profile of these modern Tokais? Do they make anything slim like the neck of a Les Paul Classic or a R0?

I just "met" a very nice 3 pickups Custom that started with K and I was wondering if it was a 1960 model.

bede620385160c11066feaedd276448b.jpg

piawxdmgs79cdwoydswu.jpg

So this is a Kurosawa guitar?

8) some tokai dealer in nagoya, japan, sells their original spec tokais with the "Reborn" logo. you see them sometimes. if its KLC then its a kurosawa custom ordered LC. you should ask the members on this forum about the tokai neck shapes. they tell you all about it!

This is the "German" reborn:

s-l1600.jpg

Lovely Special DC with binding over the frets...not available in Japan?

HAMAMATSU said:
https://theguitarshop2.jp/catalogue-vol-30/

8) these are whats currently available in japan!

I don't see the double cut in that catalogue...

BTW, what is this thing?

https://shop.miyaji.co.jp/SHOP/ka-g-042819-if04.html

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Pure hysterical PAFs?

Thank you very much, this is one of most striking LP copies I've ever seen...I also mailed Kurosawa but it appears all modern Tokais have thick necks, their Customs and Gold Tops.

Out of curiosity, is the neck angle vintage correct like the HLS models?

It's very hard to get the "right" Tokai these days.... :-?

Latest posts

Back