Can you help?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiRaver

Reaction score
Hey.

I'm looking at this tokai.

https://trademe.nz/marketplace/music-instruments/instruments/guitar-bass/electric-guitars/listing/2334296844

There is no serial number on the neck plate. Do you think its genuine?

Thanks.

Raver.

It's hard to tell from the pictures. If it's japanese it should have a 7,25" fretboard radius. I have an AST50 from 2001, it does not have any serial number at all and no made in Japan text. They also used a crappy plastic YM-50 switch (same as Ibanez) on those strats. The korean AST33's of that period had a flatter radius. It does look like an AST50, the headstock is slightly different on the korean ones.

If it's an AST50 it's a great guitar except for the switch 🙂 .

/Mike

ASTs have their serial numbers on the neck plate, that's all. Older ones were around 1984-85 made first, and AST-56 or AST-62 on the headsctock, I cannot tell on newer ones (20006 +) . The logo was different (darker) letters on korean models if I recall well.

Thanks for your help.

Yes i am confused about the lack of serial number, but looking online i can find lots of images of Tokai Goldstar Sounds without serial numbers.

KiwiRaver said:
I asked Him to put more photos up and he has. :)

It looks like my 2001 AST50 except that mine has a one piece mapleneck. The tone and sustain is excellent on my guitar, at least as good as my springy and older goldstars. It's also very well built. The switch is crap through as mentioned before. And there were no serial numbers on the Goldstars in the early 2000's so it could be from that period. I don't know about the newer ones.

/Mike

Sorry to bother you Mike. Can I just ask if your tokai has 11 screws attaching the scratch plate or 8?

Thanks

Raver

javelin70 said:
KiwiRaver said:
I asked Him to put more photos up and he has. :)

It looks like my 2001 AST50 except that mine has a one piece mapleneck. The tone and sustain is excellent on my guitar, at least as good as my springy and older goldstars. It's also very well built. The switch is crap through as mentioned before. And there were no serial numbers on the Goldstars in the early 2000's so it could be from that period. I don't know about the newer ones.

/Mike

KiwiRaver said:
Sorry to bother you Mike. Can I just ask if your tokai has 11 screws attaching the scratch plate or 8?

Thanks

Raver

It has 8 screws since it's a 50's model with a mapleneck. The rosewood (60's) models usually have 11 screws.

/Mike

Latest posts

Back