'Resellers' ? Avoid like the plague or use with caution ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Alan-

Reaction score
I've been looking at some of the vintage Greco Mirage/Ibanez Iceman (or should that Icemen?) for sale on Ebay and Reverb (part of the ongoing hunt tp and the right one..)

I noticed that any of the sellers are based in Japan - not surprising given the relative rarity of some of the models in Europe and the US.

Many of the ads seem to show what looks like exactly same guitar offered for sale by different sellers. Many of the sellers have decent ratings and good feedback scores, so they certainly come across as bona fide Ebay traders as opposed to fraudsters/scam merchants.

I'm assuming that they are actually middlemen - not holding the stock, but advertising guitars for sale on behalf of somebody else, and taking a commission or margin on the sale ?

I just wanted to check - am I right in the assumption that there is a sizeable amount of this kind of activity going on, and if so should I be wary of the middlemen sellers, or just accept that they serve a function in terms of connecting buyers with sellers who wouldn't otherwise connect ?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated as always,

Thanks,
Alan

You are correct..... buy from the actual seller vs the middleman.
Actually this is a pain in the *** on ebay as it would be easier to search vs seeing duplicates.

Ebay is a wonderful tool to scam peoples. It's massively present and it helps creating distance for starting a scam.

If you would buy online, I recommend you more local portals. In Switzerland, they have Ricardo or Anibis, the french tend to use LebonCoin or Audiofanzine and the germans use Ebay-Kleinanzeigen... all those are more localized, it becomes easyier to have proximity and to see trhough lies quickly.

If absolutely online, I would at least pick the baby up. Especially because buying a good guitar has a lot to do with how you feel things.

Back