What does this mean?

Area for Tokai's older than 1985

Moderators: ian, ned

Lord of Broghton
Plucker

What does this mean?

Post by Lord of Broghton » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:21 am

Morning all,

I hope everyone is good. I’ve just picked up another Goldstar sound - an ST65 in metallic gold. I believe it to be from 1984 based on the serial number - L12308. I know this in itself doesn’t indicate a date but I have an article which says that any numbers which fall within the range of L06001 and L17000 would be from 1984 production. This of course could be completely wrong...

Either way, I’m not that fussed about the year it was made. My question is about the stamp in the control cavity - 6=8 GM Y. I believe the 6=8 indicates the month & batch, the GM will be for gold metallic, but what does the Y stand for?

All the best,

Karim.
I rock, therefore I am...

3rdstone
Guitar God
Location: Hagstrom Guitars, ABBA, Yngwie, Meshuggah, Volvo and IKEA

Post by 3rdstone » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:30 am

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question about these stamps. Some experts here need to chime in.

But pleease show us pictures of that metallic gold strat! :D We don't see enough of these here.
"What, another one? But for God's sake why, they all look the same?!!"

Lord of Broghton
Plucker

Post by Lord of Broghton » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:09 am

Hi 3rdstone,

Thanks for your reply - hopefully someone will be able to let me know what the Y stands for . In terms of pics, it will be a few weeks before I can do this - the guitar is at my techs having a few things done to it, and I'm off on holiday for a couple of weeks so will have to wait until I return to post the pictures. She's certainly a beauty though...!

Cheers.

mdvineng
Guitar God

Post by mdvineng » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:58 am

a Y normally means yellow colour, so could be yellow base with gold metallic over the top. this is a guess :wink:

Lord of Broghton
Plucker

Post by Lord of Broghton » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:23 am

Hi mdvineng - thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like a very reasonable guess to me.