is this site dead or dieing?

Site announcements and information<br>

Moderators: ian, ned

mdvineng
Guitar God

is this site dead or dieing?

Post by mdvineng » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:56 am

no live link to the registry. way too many spammers dragging up old threads or ruining present ones with drivel. hardly worth the effort to visit mostly except for Peter's forth coming book :(

brokentoes
Guitar God

Post by brokentoes » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:20 am

It's in a sad state of affairs no matter how you look at it.

Shame.

HAMAMATSU
Guitar God

Post by HAMAMATSU » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:41 pm

8) i m really hoping this forum to come back. almost wishing. god please bless tokai forum!
QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

mdvineng
Guitar God

Post by mdvineng » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:11 am

until the server software is upgraded we will continue to be targeted by spam idiots and the reg will only be available to view via the archive link.

in the meantime this guy needs supporting and is hoping to make it a forum later on, he has only been building the site by himself for a year.

https://www.vintagejapanguitars.com.br/en/

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:09 am

This spam/spoof bull***t is really getting annoying. It's getting to the point that I'm not even bothering with posts unless I know who is posting.

NED, anyone, Bueller, Bueller..... out there in ADMIN land?? What's the problem and what's the resolution?

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:25 am

I know it gets old Marcus but I try & let it roll off; it's better for the blood pressure :lol:
A = Alnico :lol:

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:42 am

guitar hiro wrote:I know it gets old Marcus but I try & let it roll off; it's better for the blood pressure :lol:
I know ..... just having pre coffee rant it looks like!

Homer J. Simpson
Power chords are my friend

Post by Homer J. Simpson » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:34 pm

I'm running a forum too and all the spam bots cost me like an hour each day. Without time-consuming moderation of new members, the war is often lost. However using the stopforumspam.org API (for free) to query (and ideally feed) a database of known bot email and IP addresses helps a bit with keeping the flood of new bot registrations in check.

What helps me too is that vBulletin has a button to report spammy posts, so I don't have to sift through everything that's being posted every day, I'm getting notified about those via email. This forum doesn't seem to have such a button. :(

Edit: Wow, I just browsed the forums a bit and the amount of posts from bots bumping old threads to embed links in stolen text from other posts is pretty bad. It's rather sad seeing this site turning into a platform for "SEO experts" from India and finally vanishing, taking all the valuable information with it. :(

It needs a voluntary moderator just for that maybe. (I hope you understand that I'm already doing that all day, so I'm not exactly inclined to volunteer for that.)

HAMAMATSU
Guitar God

Post by HAMAMATSU » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:14 pm

8) ned, are we really ok?
QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

3rdstone
Guitar God
Location: Hagstrom Guitars, ABBA, Yngwie, Meshuggah, Volvo and IKEA

Post by 3rdstone » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:59 pm

Yeah, the spam situation is really bad right now. I remember other forums being attacked like this ten-fifteen years back, and then it was gone.

I really thought spam like this was a thing in the past, but I was obviously very wrong. Hopefully things will be better soon.
"What, another one? But for God's sake why, they all look the same?!!"

3rdstone
Guitar God
Location: Hagstrom Guitars, ABBA, Yngwie, Meshuggah, Volvo and IKEA

Post by 3rdstone » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:06 pm

Homer J. Simpson wrote:..
What helps me too is that vBulletin has a button to report spammy posts, so I don't have to sift through everything that's being posted every day, I'm getting notified about those via email. This forum doesn't seem to have such a button. :(

Yeah, a rebort button would be at least some help, everone here who notice spam crap could just report it.
"What, another one? But for God's sake why, they all look the same?!!"