Tokai Super Edition - Real or Fake

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabidbitch

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would be grateful if some of you could identify my Tokai Super Edition.

Is this a fake do you think?

This is the only number I can find.

Seems to say, 3 - 18 LB V

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Rabidbitch said:
Hi all,

I would be grateful if some of you could identify my Tokai Super Edition.

Is this a fake do you think?

This is the only number I can find.

Seems to say, 3 - 18 LB V

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Here"s what Tokai Gakki Co.Ltd say about it;

"The code No. on the body and neck express lot number.
>-body code: 6=14 A
Made in June.
>-neck code: 5=16 A
Made in May.
"

and 'LB' is the colour code, the 'V' I do not know.

My 'best guess' is SD503 http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/vol12p4.jpg

And, should it not once have had an 'oval modelnumber sticker' above the 'white MIJ sticker'?
Rabidbitch said:

Having looked at that catalogue, none of those are that guitar. They don't have that Tokai tremolo.

Thanks for that other info though. That guitar since I've owned it hasn't had a sticker above the made in japan sticker. Also there is no sticker on the butt of the neck. This is why I was wondering if it was a fake.

Rabidbitch said:
Having looked at that catalogue, none of those are that guitar. They don't have that Tokai tremolo.

Thanks for that other info though. That guitar since I've owned it hasn't had a sticker above the made in japan sticker. Also there is no sticker on the butt of the neck. This is why I was wondering if it was a fake.

I don't think it's a fake, I would also say Tokai made!

felixcatus said:
Rabidbitch said:

I don't think it's a fake, I would also say Tokai made!

Well that's a relief. I really hope as I've it for sale on ebay (posted here also). I don't want someone accusing me that it's a fake. Seems real to me but I'm no expert.

I'd keep the axe but it needs a good going over, and I have a thing for dings in the paint, no matter how small they are (and it has a few). Needs a real good set up too.

I have a SD403 (which can be seen in the catalogue pic felixcatus posted), and it's very similar to your guitar. It doesn't have that type of tremolo or the locking nut, and it has only two control knobs.

But the single coils looks exactly the same underneath as yours. I'd say as well that your guitar is a legit Tokai.

If you are still around, I would love to know the codes on the pots. Really hard to make out in the pics on imgur.

Would really appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back