Years with Tokai high quality reputation

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeG

Reaction score
Do the newish years (say 2014 to present) have the same high quality as the sought after vintage models? What about MIJ vs MIK vs MIC?

Thanks,

George

If you high end Japanese, I would say yes.

The brand new LS186 I tried lately is close to my 1980 LS80 but not quite up there, so my guess is that from a LS250 onwards it will be very close. Plus you don't need to alter things on it, like a refret or a new bridge because the old one. But you'll properly be spending a few hundreds euro/dollar/pound more for a new guitar than for the old one...

That being said, the Eastman SB59 I tried the same day was right up there.

If it is a Japanese model, what are the improvements as the model numbers go up?

Thanks,

George

Other features that show up in higher models are long tenon, lacquer finish, better looking inlays, CTS pots, hard case included, then up to brazilian boards and fret edge binding.

wulfman said:
Other features that show up in higher models are long tenon, lacquer finish, better looking inlays, CTS pots, hard case included, then up to brazilian boards and fret edge binding.

How important is the long tenon joint or the lacquer finish for tone?

George

GeorgeG said:
How important is the long tenon joint or the lacquer finish for tone?

George

Now that's a can of worms almost as big as "what is the meaning of life?"

Regardless of their actual tonal value these are premium features that mark a guitar out as a high end luxury item.

I'd say not very much. From my experience the sound of a guitar is usually down to the luck of the draw from the woodpile because how the body, neck and top work together is probably the biggest factor for a nice tone and sustain, and that combination is generally pretty random. I've had cheap Grecos and Tokais that were exceptional instruments and some expensive ones that just didn't sound or play up to their price level. Just my experience.

GeorgeG said:
Do the newish years (say 2014 to present) have the same high quality as the sought after vintage models?
Thanks,

George

YES

Back