Tokai LP Junior - model info?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backsideslappy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Long time lurker first time poster here. I recently picked up a 2006 Tokai LP Junior in TV yellow, and was hoping some of the brains trust here might be able to give me some info on the model, maybe point me in the direction of a catalogue?

Some photos here:

b8hl5Lz.jpg

vQqa3Pc.jpg

It's a 3 piece body, nitro finish, vintage style button tuners. Previous owner switched out the knobs for chrome ones which I think I'll reverse.

It plays wonderfully, big fat 50s style neck, nice low action and really well intonated for a wraparound bridge.

Would love any guidance anybody might be able to offer.

Edit: sorry about the ginormous pictures, now sure how I've done that.

From your description of 3 piece body and nitro your guitar doesn't fit the normal for that year TJ-80 which has a 2 piece body and a non-nitro finish. The nut looks like a replacement as well, so do you have a shot of the serial number at all ?? Does it have a "Made In Japan" stamp at the back of the headstock at all ??

I could well be wrong on the nitro issue. If it's poly it's a very thin coat, given how it's wearing, but it could well be.

I'll grab a shot of the serial today - it seems like a standard MIJ serial, starting in 06. Has the black Made in Japan text on the back of the headstock.

Edit: here's the back of the headstock. On second look it does seem to be a thicker P/U type coat here given the way it's chipped away from the 6. It's definitely a 3 piece body, which I don't seem to be able to match up with these kind of tuners on any other picture online.

c52ryUe.jpg

At any rate, it's a spectacular player so all of this is purely academic. Just interesting to know a bit of background.

I have one from 2000. It was my first MIJ guitar.

I was a little worried that the new nut was hiding the extra trussrod holes at the bottom that would spell something that could be fake but that is 100% MIJ Tokai TJ-80.

Why it's 3 pieces i'm not sure but the catalogs aren't 100%. There is a possibility that it was some kind of special order.

124knlj.jpg

That's great to know, thanks mate.

You don't see too many of the double cut juniors on the market here in Australia so info is a bit sparse. Whoever owned it previously certainty played the snot out of it, so it's got quite a bit of character.

They are wonderful guitars, mine is pretty beat up as well. Mine is a mustard yellow and came without the white tipped tuners yours has, not sure which year after 2000 they changed from metal to the white tipped versions. Yours seems to be a bit more TV yellow from the photo's as well.

2ym7vh5.jpg

Latest posts

Back