Greco pickup question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar hiro

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
I have what was sold to me as a 'matched set' of Greco PU-2 pickups.
These look like they were taken from the original guitar & placed in a parts bin; never used.
Both pickups still have what looks to be the original clear plastic protective sheets still intact on the covers.
These could actually pass for 'new.'

One thing that I can't figure out are the six digit numbers stamped on the bases.
One number is 200625 and the other number is 210629.
From the commonly held belief that the second number represents the year, that would mean one is 1980 & the other 1981.

Of all the Greco pickups I have seen these two are the oddest of the odd.

So, who here has any idea what may be 'up' with these two as far as the second digits being (supposedly) a year apart?

Cheers

Just a mismatched set from a spare parts stock IMO. Nothing too mysterious there IMO. Does it look like they were installed in a guitar? If so, why the plastic? Maybe they put some solder on them before installation to speed the manufacturing process.

Thanks for chiming in Harold 8)

Both leads have solder on the steel braid, indicating they were both soldered to a pot can so, I have no doubt these were installed in a guitar.

I purchased my 2000 LS-320 in 2008, 8 years after it was assembled, and the Seth Lovers still had the clear plastic protective sheets on the covers.

I assume Greco guitars also came with the similar clear plastic protective sheets on the pickup covers; seems to be fairly common for many makers to do this.

When you say, "mismatched set from a spare parts stock" I assume you are implying the factory where the guitar was assembled?

Of all of the Greco pickup sets I have seen I have never seen the second digit differing but then those sets were all installed in guitars; not purchased as pickups only.

They did sell after-market pickups so perhaps yours originate from a store that had a few in stock. Perhaps they had a few and sold singles and ended up with the last two which were sold to someone and put in a guitar. Just a theory.

Latest posts

Back