Strange Tokai headstock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll make it easy for you -

You have a base model 38 with upgrades as reflected by the 48 sticker.

I don't know why anyone would think painting a Fender style guitar neck a solid colour, especially black would be an upgrade. To me it denotes a cheaper model much like the Limited Series Strats that Tokai came out with. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder i suppose.

Use Japanese catalogs as a reference point, never as gospel. Plenty of models are not in the catalogs. Even today you can have Tokai make you a guitar to your specs. Costs a bit more but they will do it for you. There is no catalog list of extra prices as far as i know.

I'm sure making the stickers was easier than making the guitars

There is a 1982 catalog with all the upgrades,but I can't read japanese. I could care less what the model number is. My main concern was the odd headstock which no one could identify. Which is hilarious because everyone knows my model number but no one has seen the logo. It's obviously an SS60 logo but the "experts" didn't catch that. So the experts are not as smart as they think they are.

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/volume545.jpg.

@brokentoes. Please elaborate. A Springy Sound ST50 cost 50k plus or minus. a limited edition ST50 cost 50k, a Custom edition ST50 cost 50 k and a Super Edition st50 cost 50k. Which is the better guitar? I am so sick of people making blanket statments that this Tokai is inferior to that Tokai.

Hello Raymond,

It seems that the guitar was sold around 1981 and we did not know how we priced for the custom models at that time. We need to find the old record.
Right now we do not change the model number for custom models. We just put another letter(s) like "C" of Custome, "S" of Special or something else.

Tokai

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--DOyZucjq--/f_auto,t_large/v1552294379/axnlgawt0d26yg3nd74w.jpg

This is a 1982 Tokai limited edition SS48, ok it's an HH setup but who cares

How is this inferior to my SS48? The only differnce is the jack location! They both cost the same and they are identical except for the jack and the logo. But the Limited is "inferior". LMAO

Sorry now I get it, you're hung up on it being a higher model and can't accept it's a base model, have a good day.

By "Cheaper" i meant cheaper looking. Not by the price. Sorry for the confusion. I never used the word inferior and i'm no expert either.

brokentoes said:
I don't know why anyone would think painting a Fender style guitar neck a solid colour, especially black would be an upgrade. To me it denotes a cheaper model much like the Limited Series Strats that Tokai came out with. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder i suppose.

Use Japanese catalogs as a reference point, never as gospel. Plenty of models are not in the catalogs. Even today you can have Tokai make you a guitar to your specs. Costs a bit more but they will do it for you. There is no catalog list of extra prices as far as i know.

I'm sure making the stickers was easier than making the guitars

While I would agree with you generally about the black guitars, a painted headstock in any color is an upgrade and also I'd point out in the '84 catalog the 100 model is all black, black nitro;

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/tokai/1984/en_05.html

I can see a how a painted matching headstock could be an upgrade. Especially if it was a nice colour but i meant more the whole painted neck. Horses for courses and all that.

I'm not hung up on the model number. You are saying one thing and Tokai is saying another. One of you is wrong. i don't have enough inforamtion to gauge who is correct

The tokai email says;

"we did not know how we priced for the custom models at that time"

and

"right now we do not change the numbers"

If you care to check IMO there is ample evidence that in the early '80s they did change them.

Where is the evidence? The only way to prove you are correct would be to buy a Tokai model ask for upgrades and wait to see what sticker they put on the neck when it shows up! Making a statement does not make it fact.

Tokai says they don;t change the sticker. You say they do. Why should I believe you and not Tokai? If the evidence exists, post a link!!

knight_yyz said:
Where is the evidence? The only way to prove you are correct would be to buy a Tokai model ask for upgrades and wait to see what sticker they put on the neck when it shows up! Making a statement does not make it fact.

Tokai says they don;t change the sticker. You say they do. Why should I believe you and not Tokai? If the evidence exists, post a link!!

Try reading it again. "Right now we do not change the stickers" this only means for the present and does not include the past.

Wow, you really are a stubbon one, knight_yyz. If answers aren't to your liking you change tack.
This guitar was never an SS-60 - regardless of the logo. SS-60's like the headstock you have pictured have Kluson tuners - just for starters.
You ask a question about your guitar. People with infinately more knowledge than you answer, give you facts and features and all you can do is throw up half baked excuses. What is it you want to know?
At every point you are trying to make it something it is not.
It is an SS-38 with a 10,000 yen paint job. It has the cheapest SilverStar pickups in it (neither SS-Hot or SS-Super) and an odd logo.
SIMPLE>
Your ramblings about ceramic magnets and such only shows you have very little idea about these Models and talking to Factory personel about workshop practices 37 years ago and applying it to todays market is not comparing apples to apples - is it. I can read some Katakana and my son is very good at Japanese and so telling you this is NOT a Production Model SS-48 doesn't seem to ring true to you. You are given a breakdown of the whole guitar - doesn't seem right to you. I have personally owned more than 30 pre-85 SilverStars, taken them apart, logged and photographed the features to gain my knowledge whilst you read posts from over the internet and yet what I say doesn't ring true to you.
You taunt the 'experts' - like you are the holder of all things SilverStar - and argue when they disagree with what you say.
You are really a waste of air- if I went back to 1980 with a time machine, it would be to strangle you in your cot.

Peter Mac said:
Wow, you really are a stubbon one, knight_yyz. If answers aren't to your liking you change tack.
This guitar was never an SS-60 - regardless of the logo. SS-60's like the headstock you have pictured have Kluson tuners - just for starters.
You ask a question about your guitar. People with infinately more knowledge than you answer, give you facts and features and all you can do is throw up half baked excuses. What is it you want to know?
At every point you are trying to make it something it is not.
It is an SS-38 with a 10,000 yen paint job. It has the cheapest SilverStar pickups in it (neither SS-Hot or SS-Super) and an odd logo.
SIMPLE>
Your ramblings about ceramic magnets and such only shows you have very little idea about these Models and talking to Factory personel about workshop practices 37 years ago and applying it to todays market is not comparing apples to apples - is it. I can read some Katakana and my son is very good at Japanese and so telling you this is NOT a Production Model SS-48 doesn't seem to ring true to you. You are given a breakdown of the whole guitar - doesn't seem right to you. I have personally owned more than 30 pre-85 SilverStars, taken them apart, logged and photographed the features to gain my knowledge whilst you read posts from over the internet and yet what I say doesn't ring true to you.
You taunt the 'experts' - like you are the holder of all things SilverStar - and argue when they disagree with what you say.
You are really a waste of air- if I went back to 1980 with a time machine, it would be to strangle you in your cot.

+1

Latest posts

Back