Ls double cut 2004 what is it? MIJ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroomstudios

Reaction score
I did not know Tokai made these.

https://reverb.com/item/2629591-tokai-loverock-double-cutaway-in-satin-cherry-made-in-japan

The listing says made in Korea but I see MIJ on the back of the headstock. The dimples are export for UK or something like that right? I know they are also MIK or China or something but since it says "made in japan" this is out right? Looks like it has some Bare Knuckles pickups put in it and it looks like a 3 piece back to me.

From looking at the rosewood FB it looks like it is a little. I do not know how to say this but you can see the variations in color in it. I have noticed cheaper guitar have this. Not that it makes a difference in sound but just looks. So I would say something in the ballpark as a 2010 or so ls 90 quality guitar. I am not saying this is a ls90 I am just saying I would assume equal quality to a 2010 ls 90 or so. If that make sense to you.

Would you guys agree with me on this?

Do the double cuts come around often? Personally, I did not even know they made them.

I tested a double cut when it was new - it id not have the dimple though. It was a great guitar and I almost bought it. It was definitly made in japan. I think they are quite rare, in Sweden I've only seen the one I tested. I regret that I didn't buy it.

/Mike

I would ignore the made in Korea comment and go by the Inky on the headstock. also see http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=24826

Not sure if you posted the right link there ?

If it's the red doublecut you're looking at from Stargoat guitars - that is definitely an 04 MIJ model. I know because I nearly bought it, but bought a blue doublecut from the same dealer instead :) Excellent chap to deal with btw.

Think it might be an LS105 model perhaps (?) but there are more knowledgeable individuals here who can confirm or correct that.

That one has had the pups replaced.

The doublecuts seem to be referred to as Love Rock II models - and are rarer thank the single cuts, but do come up for sale from time to time.

Main difference with the single cuts are in weight, accessibility to the upper end of the fretboard, and only having one volume and tone control - but with the ability to toggle the control knobs in and out for a single/cleaner sound from each pickup. Because of this (I feel at least) they give a broader range of tones than the traditional LP style pickup configuration.

Really nice guitars if you can find a good one.

Thanks for the info guys. Was it 2004 when they started stamping the MIJ of the back of the headstock? What does the dimpled headstock mean? Export for UK?

I have two LoveRocks - the 04 one has the MIJ label on the headstock - the 02 is blank, so maybe so.

Pic of mine (being packed prior to shipping)

Not the best of shots, I'll have to take some decent ones. You can see it has the dimpled headstock too.

Yeah they do look big there, don't they :eek:

They are identical sidewise to the ones on the singlecut I have. I think it must be the visual effect of the smaller 339/335 shaped body around the neck area making the whole pickup area look much bigger proportionately.

That - and a badly chosen perspective for the photograph :)

Latest posts

Back