1991 Tokai ES-150 (non catalog model - specs?)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattbarlow

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a lovely TOKAI ES-150, when I got it I wasn't sure about the year of production.
I contacted via e-mail Tokai-Japan, showed them some photos.

"Thanks for your inquiry to Tokai Gakki.
I presume the model is made in 1991 in Japan and its serial No."

"Thanks for more pictures.

As long as I check ES-150 is non-regular moadel, and we do not have the spec sheet.
Here I wrote the deduced spec below.

Body:Flamed Maple Arched Top
Flamed Maple Side & Back
Neck:Mahogany 1pce Set-neck
Fingerboard:Rosewood
Bridge:LS-VB Bridge
LS-VT Tailpiece
Pickups:pAF-Vintage MK1
Control:2V,2T,3way

I hope the info is helpful.

Best regards.
Tokai Gakki."

Anyone here may be able to help with more specs, or know the existence of another ES-150?
What would the finish be?
What were the specs for the catalog models ES120 -- ES 180, at the time?

Tokai ES-150 by Alexandros G, on Flickr

mdvineng said:
Johnny needs a kick up the arse :lol:

Or three..

It's becoming like a viral infection.
Any of the moderators able to intervene and do something about these 'bots ?

You might want to see the OP posting date.

Thread was re awoken by a spammer that has now been deleted.

The poster asked a question in a different thread on non production models referring back to this one.

mattbarlow said:
Don't know if you are interested in my 1991 TOKAI ES-150
Had made a thread about it 3 years ago

http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24784&p=187678#p187678

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=196659#p196659

The black guitar in the photo must be a different guitar. Looks like an ES90 from a distance (dot neck). Not sure why it’s being called an ES150? What do you think?

Would help to see pictures.

ES180 is flamed as well, but it has fancy binding and split diamond style head stock in lay, split block fret markers, and an ebony board.

So maybe the ES150 is the rosewood board version, but again it should probably have some sort of block inlays and not dot inlays?

From the 1990 catalog:

hndzthO.png

UaaW0x8.png

As I stated in my post I contacted Tokai Gakki in Japan about my guitar.

The guitar is the Black one with DOT inlays you see in the picture.

Tokai Gakki asked me for more detailed pics and I sent many more pics of my guitar.

The guitar is called ES-150 by me because it has a ES-150 sticker inside.

Tokai ES-150 by Alexandros G, on Flickr

Inside one can easily see that the maple is flamed (although it is so strange that someone ordered a flame maple guitar and asked it to be Black colored in my opinion).

All the specs in my first post are the Tokai Support deduced spec (i note that on my original post)

The guitar is absolutely beautiful and so nice to play, my tech believes its a Laquer finish upon examination

I thought that Sigmania would be interested since I saw a nice topic with beautiful non catalog Tokais.

mattbarlow said:
As I stated in my post I contacted Tokai Gakki in Japan about my guitar.

The guitar is the Black one with block inlays you see in the picture.

I must be missing something.

This is the picture I have seen, and I am seeing dot markers.

Is there another picture that I am missing?

kEdWxWe.jpg

OK. I thought I was losing it. LOL

Very cool guitar, and obviously marked as an ES150. Beautiful

Yes its really cool, its a hard battle between her and my '81 ES-100 in Cherry!
Real quality guitar!

It’s a beauty. And it’s a mystery why they would paint over a flamed maple body. Back in the 50s Gibson would do that with Les Pauls if there was a blemish after it was carved. I wonder if there was some issue with how it took the stain or if there was a blemish or something. That couldn’t have happened often. Might be the only ES150 out there? Who knows? Definitely a gem.

It’s a beauty and a mystery. There have been many solid flame top Love Rocks that you would think would have been on an LS120 or higher but were paired with a 2 piece body and called an LS80 or LS60 even.

Definitely a cool guitar.

Sigmania said:
It’s a beauty and a mystery. There have been many solid flame top Love Rocks that you would think would have been on an LS120 or higher but were paired with a 2 piece body and called an LS80 or LS60 even.

Definitely a cool guitar.

Talking about my LS-60 are you ? :D

Tokai LS60-2 by Alexandros G, on Flickr

Lol. guitar hiro has a nice one too. I’ve had a few Tokai anomalies myself. I think it’s cool and one thing fun about Tokais. Always exceptions to our rules.

Lol. guitar hiro has a nice one too. I’ve had a few Tokai anomalies myself. I think it’s cool and one thing fun about Tokais. Always exceptions to our rules.

Haha yes I love so many weird ones I have seen over the years, and so jealous of some of them.

Latest posts

Back