This Tokai has me baffled

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankit

Reaction score
Hi all

I ordered a Tokai uls150 online and according to the specs it shouldn't have alot of the things I've found on this guitar.

I was told my guitar would have
1 piece african mahogany body
orange drop caps

yet this guitar is a 2 piece body with sprague caps and binding over the frets??

the guitar plays absolutely perfect, better then my 2000 les paul although the action was a little low for my liking.

Could they have given me the wrong guitar?

The wiring looks legit to me, those are Sprague Black Beauties which are definitely nothing to be ashamed of. We have seen examples of 150's with a 2 piece body. The fret edge binding is only found on high end models.

You've got the certificate too. I don't see anything to be concerned about, but if in doubt it may be worth taking the pickups out and checking for cavity markings.

I've done a bit of research and it looks like my tokai is close in specs to a uls360.

The Tokai LS360F Love Rock (Japan) Premium Series represents the finest craftsmanship and materials. Features include a 2-piece Honduras Mahogany back with AAAA grade flamed maple carved top; Genuine Nitro-lacquer finish; One piece '59 profile Honduras mahogany neck (Deep joint tenon); Madagascar Rosewood fingerboard; Jescar FW47104 frets with bound fret ends; HLS-VB Bridge with brass saddles; HLS-VT aluminium tailpiece; Gotoh Vintage style tuners; Tokai Vintage PAF-MKII pickups; CTS pots; Sprague Black Beauty capacity; Switchcraft Jack. Includes vintage Lifton style Tokai hard case.

The Japan Custom Tokai LS150 Love Rock features include a solid mahogany body; True AAA carved maple top; Long tenon deep set '59 rounded one piece mahogany neck with select rosewood fingerboard; Tokai Vintage MKII PAF humbucking pickups; orange drop Sprague capacitors; Switchcraft switch and jack; Gotoh hardware including aluminium tailpiece, ABR1 with brass saddles; Gotohvintage style tuners; full Nitro-cellulose lacquer finish.

Perhaps Tokai labeled it wrong from the factory and also put it in the wrong case. Weird thing is the certificate which states uls150 matches the serial number stamped on the neck. very weird.

just count yourself lucky for the higher spec in the box. maybe that one was close too hand when they fulfilled the order?

you have the specs of the 360
*2 piece back
*4AAAA top
*Sprague caps
*fret binding aka nibs
*Madagascar fingerboard (to my eyes that IS Madagascar)

But you have a serial number on the guitar that matches your cert for a 150

Factory screw up & IMO your gain 8)

Rock that puppy & enjoy :D

guitar hiro said:
you have the specs of the 360
*2 piece back
*4AAAA top
*Sprague caps
*fret binding aka nibs
*Madagascar fingerboard (to my eyes that IS Madagascar)

But you have a serial number on the guitar that matches your cert for a 150

Factory screw up & IMO your gain 8)

Rock that puppy & enjoy :D

Awesome! I certainly will:). Feel like I've won the lottery

Back