Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokai Jacaranda and Ebony or Brazillian Rosewood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Tokai Jacaranda and Ebony or Brazillian Rosewood Reply with quote

This question is for someone who has a 320 or similar model.
What is the difference with Jacaranda FB wood and something else like Ebony.

There is sort of a confusion about the Tokai Jacaranda. Is it really just Brazilian Rosewood or is it something else? (See url below for link about what Tokai Jacaranda may or may not be ) I have heard Jacaranda (traditional Jacaranda I mean) can be an alternative to Ebony wood. I am not sure if that means sound wise or looks wise.

To me Ebony sounds like maple. Does Jacaranda (Tokai Jacaranda) sound like rosewood or something else like ebony or?

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=24639&highlight=jacaranda
HAMAMATSU
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the japanese guitar world, jacaranda simply just means the brazillian rosewood. the japanese more often call it jacaranda than brazillian rosewood. tokai today very rarely has the brazillian rosewood.
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MIJ Heartfield RR58 (Fender). It is spec'd as having a Braz board. If it sounds any different to my other Indian RW guitars i can't hear it.

I have guitars with African and Honduran mahogany bodies and i can't hear a species difference either.
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. I just ordered the guitar with a Ebony FB from Tokai. For this guitar that will probably sound better than a rosewood (of any species) fretboard.

On a side note check out this custom guitar from Tokai

https://theguitarshop2.jp/gallery/?gallery=ate112s-tgs29-d04

It has a Jacaranda fretboard. That guitar looks so nice. I might have to order one like it in the future.

Last edited by aroomstudios on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a gorgeous tele.

You have a keen eye.
guitar hiro
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aroomstudios wrote:
Thanks for that info. I just ordered the guitar with a Ebony FB from Tokai. For this guitar that will probably sound better than a rosewood (of any species) fretboard.

On a side note check out this custom guitar from Tokai

https://theguitarshop2.jp/gallery/?gallery=ate112s-tgs29-d04

It has a Jacaranda fretboard. That guitar looks so nice. I might have to order one like it in the future.

The Tele in the link reminds me a bit of a Bacchus Vintage Series Tele I have; must be from around 2004/2005 based on the serial #.

Mine looks to be based on the 2004 catalog model Bacchus BCT-67 but there are a few differences.
The BTC-67 is basically a replica of a 1967 Tele custom: Alder body/bound front & reverse, 21 fret rosewood fingerboard, two single coil pickups, white pick guard, nickle hardware.

My BTC has: Mahogany body/bound front & reverse, 22 fret Ebony fingerboard, single coil bridge pickup, humbucker neck pickup, black pick guard, gold hardware.
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not even know they had the custom orders gallery until the other day. They have my guitar they custom made for me about a year ago on there. In real life the finish is a lot darker and more metallic looking:

https://theguitarshop2.jp/gallery/?gallery=ate106b-tgs30-d02-otm-m

This thing completely blows away my Fender USA model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: