Is this a LS320?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've actually come to believe he deserves the benefit of the doubt over the incident and was quite possibly deceived by the person he is selling the guitar for, and I've said as much in private discussions with another forum member.

However there's no excuse for this childish and unprofessional behavior, which is doing more damage to his reputation and business than a bad advertisement ever could.

Mr. Hernandez has relisted his Tokai (correctly) as a LS-200 but the desrciption of the body & neck lumber, and the fingerboard are INCORRECT.

https://reverb.com/item/12070201-gorgeous-2002-tokai-love-rock-ls-200-in-cherry-burst-with-original-hardshell-case

"The guitar has a Honduran Mahogany back & set-neck with a Jacaranda fingerboard."

When dealing with sellers like this, that obviously do NOT check their facts, or just out & out lie, IMO it's advisable to consider such sellers as con men.

DYODD

Yes, I saw that last night. i was going to post here about it but did not. The guy did not change the description just the 320 to 200. What is wrong with this guy. He flips out at me last month because I contact reverb and had the listing pulled. Give me some BS story about his daughter running the store and it was a misunderstanding. Then he told me to please contact reverb and tell him he is a good guy. Which I did NOT do. Apart from flipping out at me he flips out at t.olsen on Ebay also. This guy has issues and does not even spend 5 minutes to research an item before listing it.

He's waiting the hook the big one.

25% off sale till Xmas Eve.

"In our 30+ years of business, Customer Service has always been of the utmost importance to us. Every call, email and inquiry will be answered. We are happy to offer full descriptions of condition and sound of all of our instruments to the best of our expertise."

It's how you word things that count rofl

Relisted in ebay as well

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Tokai-Love-Rock-LS-200-in-Cherry-Burst-with-Original-Hardshell-Case/264098479372?hash=item3d7d7efd0c:g:26YAAOSwAu5a3ra6:rk:21:pf:0

It looks like he has changed the specs now to reflect the truth.

Price seems high, however there is a "Make an Offer" option. It does look to be in good shape as well as the OHSC.

What would people here think it is worth ?? I think my Tokai prices seem to be out of date with the times.

brokentoes said:
What would people here think it is worth ?? I think my Tokai prices seem to be out of date with the times.

The come up so rarely it's hard to say (possibly rarer than 320's?).

Unlike on the 320 the hardware and electronics were nothing special. The main selling points were the lacquer finish, solid flame top, 1 piece back and, most distinctively, the ebony fretboard. I've never seen an ebony fretboard on a Les Paul Standard type anywhere else.

At the time this one would have been £1200GBP new if that's any guide.

Thanks Paladin2019 for the info.

I'm not a fan of overly red bursted LP's but i do think Tokai does a nice job on their Heritage Dark Cherry. I'm sure if that guitar sells the buyer will be impressed.

good to see the seller FINALLY got it right; that took forever, almost. :lol:

The guitar is now worthy of a new home, since the truth of it is published within the listing. :)

It is close but not right. On Ebay it is listed:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Tokai-Love-Rock-LS-200-in-Cherry-Burst-with-Original-Hardshell-Case/264098479372?hash=item3d7d7efd0c:g:26YAAOSwAu5a3ra6:rk:1:pf:0

it Still has.

"With a breathtaking AAAA solid Maple top with a flame that is second to none."

In it. According to

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai20010.jpg

320 is AAAA and 200 is "flamed maple top"

If I could get that 200 for deal I would probably buy it. But for that price I might as well just buy a 320.

aroomstudios said:
It is close but not right. On Ebay it is listed:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Tokai-Love-Rock-LS-200-in-Cherry-Burst-with-Original-Hardshell-Case/264098479372?hash=item3d7d7efd0c:g:26YAAOSwAu5a3ra6:rk:1:pf:0

it Still has.

In it. According to

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai20010.jpg

320 is AAAA and 200 is "flamed maple top"

If I could get that 200 for deal I would probably buy it. But for that price I might as well just buy a 320.

I didn't bother looking @ the eBay listing; can't stand that Hell hole of a cluster fvck.
I did check the Reverb listing, which was much improved & seemingly correct.
The LS-200 the seller is offering looks very clean & looks to be a prime example, overall but the top is very boring for my taste.
Also, I'm not too keen on an Ebony 'board on a Lester in general, and particularly one with that weight (9 lb. - 2 oz.) range.

IMO there is no comparison between a LS-200 of that vintage & a LS-320 from five years earlier.
The lumber spec for the LS-320 in general is much more of an upgrade, period.

One day I will sell my LS-320 VF but that won't be any time soon, at all.
Mine has one of the best three tops IMO that I have seen on any LS-320, and the Brazilian fingerboard is just sick. :D
Only thing I'm not crazy about on my LS-320 is the neck is thinner than I prefer but it's a LS-320. :lol:

Yeah, one of these days I will get a ls320 from that time 2000 or so.

On a side note what is the difference from a ls 320 for 2000 or so and the new ones. Ls 480 or 520 or something like that. Basically the current 2018 or 2019 top of the line Ls model. I have heard they still do them but they are not in the catalog.

If you want an LS-320, look here: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r293383992

Looks to be in good shape and the electronics have been upgraded. Unfortunate year, though.

aroomstudios said:

On a side note what is the difference from a ls 320 for 2000 or so and the new ones. Ls 480 or 520 or something like that. Basically the current 2018 or 2019 top of the line Ls model. I have heard they still do them but they are not in the catalog.

AFAIK =

LS-300 = 1995 (pre LS-320 prototype made by Kunishi Furuhashi)

LS-320 = 1996/1997 to 2003 (the longest running/highest spec LS in Tokai history, EVER)

LS-360 = ?

LS-380 = 2006

LS-420 = ?

LS-470 = 2008

LS-540 = 2010

DYODD :)

Thanks, guitar hiro. Is there one year that was better for some reason or are they all about the same. I know you said a few years earlier than 2002 for the ls200 (though you were talking about a good 320). Was that the golden years or something? Reason is I will see Shohei Adachi next month at the 2019 NAMM Anaheim show. I have order a few new old stock item from Tokai before. A 2012 P/musicman Tokai bass that I ordered in 2018. Then a guitar I am in the works of ordering from him. This guitar was discontinued 5 or 10 years ago but they have the older bodys still at the factory. So, they can custom make it to my specs for me. I am just wondering if this could be something that could work. Though it might be easier and cheaper to just find a good 1997 or so used LS 320 around.

So is the LS-320 superior to the later equivalents, e.g., LS-420, 470, etc... ? Do you have any impressions of the high end HLS models like HLS-420, HLS-MAX?

guitar hiro said:
aroomstudios said:

AFAIK =

LS-300 = 1995 (pre LS-320 prototype made by Kunishi Furuhashi)

LS-320 = 1996/1997 to 2003 (the longest running/highest spec LS in Tokai history, EVER)

LS-360 = ?

LS-380 = 2006

LS-420 = ?

LS-470 = 2008

LS-540 = 2010

DYODD :)

thats a lovely 320 just a shame they dropped the fret binding in the later 2005 models.. otherwise i would go for that.. for me 320 has to be 97-2004 with fret binding, I am also not a fan of the wierd inlays they used on some of them..here is a 2003 I currently have for sale..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146163744@N08/sets/72157689319256300

It is just me or was this just added to the reverb listing:

I thought this was removed from the reverb listing the other day and it just said flame maple top.

Back