Bacchus BLS-DX ? (Quilt top BLS model)

Discussion area for Bacchus/Momose/Deviser guitars.
guitar hiro
Guitar God

Bacchus BLS-DX ? (Quilt top BLS model)

Post by guitar hiro » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:52 pm

mentioned this in another thread and spotted another Quilt maple top Bacchus BLS.

I have spotted a total of four of these quilt top BLS examples, all within a tight serial # range.

All of these I have seen run the serial number range of 101608 to 101616.
I assume these are very limited since the serial # range is so close.
Three of these have nickle hardware & one has gold hardware.
The three with nickle hardware have the serial numbers stamped in white.
The one with gold hardware has the serial number stamped in black.

101608 = gold hardware, serial number in black (I own this one) :)

101614 = nickle hardware, serial number in white (warranty card shows BLS-DX3)
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... BNLTZFVWtn

101615 = nickle hardware, serial number in white
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/au ... iref=alt_s

101616 = nickle hardware, serial number in white

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:24 am

spotted this on YJ; it has quilt top & is listed as a Bacchus Duke DX

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q256973175

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:55 pm

I saw the below posted on another guitar forum, in reference to one of the examples (101615) I posted in the OP.

"as it says DLX or one off? I can find very little info on the DLX, so thoughts please..solid quilt top, long tenon, oil finish and Braz Board, back is one piece, looks like Honduran to me but I am no
mahogxpert."

(1) I have only seen these quilt top examples referred to as DX so, not sure how the DLX figures in the mix.

(2) IMO the fret boards on these are Madagascar rosewood, NOT Brazilan.

My 101608 fret board looks nearly identical to most of the recent (last couple of years) Momose fret boards listed as Madagascar.

The fret board on 101615 also has the identical color; the exception is it is flat sawn.

Don't know how that could be mistaken for Brazilan.

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:44 pm

guitar hiro wrote:spotted this on YJ; it has quilt top & is listed as a Bacchus Duke DX

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q256973175

after some digging I located an example on page 11 in the June, 2004 Deviser catalog 8)

02 DUKE DX with a MSRP of 294,000 yen

villager
Guitar God

Post by villager » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:09 am

had a good look at the board and i think your correct its mad not braz, the reason it could be mistaken is that there are very very few pores in the board, and they are small...

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:36 am

villager wrote:had a good look at the board and i think your correct its mad not braz, the reason it could be mistaken is that there are very very few pores in the board, and they are small...

The 'board on your example is very interesting as it is flat sawn which offers a very attractive grain. Most (BLS) based examples are quarter sawn to rift sawn lumber, which my example is.
I noticed the weight on your example is listed as 8 lb. - 8 oz. which is very close to mine, which weighs 8 lb. - 10 oz.
These so called DX examples are clearly based on the BLS examples yet they are a bit strange, as they have attributes of both the earlier BLS-120 & also the later BLS-59.
The head stock overlay is not 'common' to either the BLS-120, nor the BLS-59; again, a strange attribute.
IMO these are basically transition examples of the BLS product line, and given the DX designation. I am very glad to have the example I have :D

villager
Guitar God

Post by villager » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:41 am

yes rare and killer tops.. mine is an oiled finish...

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:12 am

villager wrote:yes rare and killer tops.. mine is an oiled finish...
out of the less than half a dozen DX quilt top examples I have seen, your example has (IMO) the nicest looking fingerboard & the quilt top is spectacular.
I noticed there was never a pick guard installed. That is a stellar example of a very rare guitar. 8)

villager
Guitar God

Post by villager » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:50 am

thanks... :)

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Re: Bacchus BLS-DX ? (Quilt top BLS model)

Post by guitar hiro » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:44 pm

as usual I was doing more digging on the INTERWEBZ today & I came up with a surprise.

https://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop5134/DS04845208/

This example (101711) is certainly outside of the serial number range that I have listed in the OP but (1) the top is quilt maple (2) the fingerboard looks like Madagascar IMO (3) the head stock has the incomplete dimple as all of the earlier 1016** serial examples also have, and (4) the serial number is stamped in white.

This is listed as a BLP-DX but during the 101*** serial number era, there were no BLP examples; only BLS.

This is IMO yet another example of a 'transition era' BLS-DX.

This is what happens when you spend TOO MUCH time digging around on the INTERWEBZ; learning. :lol:

YMMV
A = Alnico :lol:

wulfman
Guitar God

Post by wulfman » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:52 pm

It is hard to find the background of these high-end Bacchus LPs. Are they possibly order models? I have had some odd ones over the years that are not your typical off-the-shelf LP colours and finishes. My sample size is pretty small though.

Here is a Japanese page that is offline now but the "Wayback Machine" has the page saved. Someone ordered a Bacchus with custom specs.
My guess is that Deviser has been making custom-spec guitars over the years, and some of these may fall into that category.
https://web.archive.org/web/20080317124 ... tudioj.htm

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:29 am

Hi wulfman, That is a nice one you spotted there. That looks like it could be from the BLS-59 era; I would say circa 2004/2005. Why?
The stop tail looks to be nearly flush with the maple top, which indicates the BLS-59 era recessed stud anchor set-up.

I agree with your idea about Deviser creating 'custom orders' for customer's requests over the years.
I have seen several examples that were not cataloged, non catalog colors, and attributes that are not typically contemporaneous.

I have recently been discussing (with a potential buyer) a particular Deviser example that I have, and then, out of the blue I came up with a theory on Deviser custom order guitars. If you would like to hear my theory please PM me. I think my theory actually holds water.

Thanks for that link 8)
A = Alnico :lol: