Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dry Z pickup Set sales for 129,000 yen = $1,172 USD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t.olsen
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wulfman wrote:
I should have mentioned that the seller with the 3-hole bobbin set also sold 2 more sets recently, all with non-original covers. Not conclusive evidence, but there are tons of Maxon/Fujigen pickups out there to use if a person wanted to make a few sets. All they would need is a similar "Z" and number stamp.

That's the normal consequence if there is such a hype about an item...klon centaur is another example.Prices go up fakes pop off.Also the bixonic expandora goes for sale today for twice that much as 5 years ago.
I will wait til the Drys are over 2 grands.I will then take a set out of my 1200 and sell it expensive enough to buy another 1200 with Drys in it for that price
BigTone
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitar hiro wrote:

It would be interesting to see ALL attributes of the three hole bobbin examples you speak of: the Z stamp, the serial number stamp, etc.

Screws can be changed, easily.

I'll see if I have any time over the weekend to pull one of the pickups and see what's on there.

When did this three hole thing not being dry Zs come about? I don't remember it ever being discussed when I was more active on here 10 years ago, and I can't find any discussions on it searching the forums
guitar hiro
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTone wrote:
guitar hiro wrote:

It would be interesting to see ALL attributes of the three hole bobbin examples you speak of: the Z stamp, the serial number stamp, etc.

Screws can be changed, easily.

I'll see if I have any time over the weekend to pull one of the pickups and see what's on there.

When did this three hole thing not being dry Zs come about? I don't remember it ever being discussed when I was more active on here 10 years ago, and I can't find any discussions on it searching the forums

I'm not aware of any three hole bobbin examples, thus my comment earlier stating that would be a 'red flag' IMO.

Having three hole bobbin examples present would not be out of the realm of possibility but from my limited experience it would be very uncommon, as I have seen none, to date.
guitar hiro
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to edit my last post but the server is having some issues; Ned

One item to consider AFA the example Harold posted in post #2:
The six digit stamp on the base reads 211127.
The commonly held belief in this 'code' would result in these being possibly the latest set I have seen 1 = 1981, 11 = November, 27 = 27th day.
So, if these were produced/stamped on November 27, 1981, I assume there may be a possibility of a transition period AFA the bobbins used at that time. Just a thought but also just a guess.
Dalko
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if I understand correctly, the set of dry-z's in the post 2 with 3 holes, was not the first one that we ever saw?

Dry-Z are rare, and even rarer without covers, and among them 2 sets with 3 holes. This is no longer an exception.

"Guitar hiro", your transition theory towards the end of 1981 seems to be right.

We are waiting for photos of Dry-Z's "BigTone" for confirmation.
wulfman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more comments on this other than buyers need to do some research on Maxon and Fujigen pickups and available information from Jun Takano, the guy who designed the DRY-Z for Maxon.

If the 3-hole bobbin pickups sound good to you, that is all that matters.
Dalko
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know that Jun Takano worked on Dry-Z's with Toshihide Ushimaru, who worked for Fujigen, and that towards the end of 1981 at the beginning of 1982, (it's not very clear ...) Fujigen begins to make his own pickups, with Toshihide Ushimaru as "Pickup Menager"

But, this transitory period is interesting, because that's where the answer might be , since it seems that a part of material of Maxon was recovered by Fujigen ... It may be the explanation of the riddle, and "Guitar Hiro" felt it

This is why it's important to have more information on this second set of Dry-Z'S with 3 holes.

"BigTone" some pictures of your Dry-Z's?

Last edited by Dalko on Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:46 am; edited 2 times in total
guitar hiro
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalko wrote:
So, if I understand correctly, the set of dry-z's in the post 2 with 3 holes, was not the first one that we ever saw?

Dry-Z are rare, and even rarer without covers, and among them 2 sets with 3 holes. This is no longer an exception.

"Guitar hiro", your transition theory towards the end of 1981 seems to be right.

We are waiting for photos of Dry-Z's "BigTone" for confirmation.

well, my theory is based on a 'hunch' & an assumption so, I wouldn't put a lot of weight into my theory.

I'm confident that Harold knows more about these pickups than most any member here.

As Harold has stated, "caveat emptor."
guitar hiro
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did some diggin' 'round and found this.

Go to the 1:04 mark & check the Z stamps on the pickup bases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06RRj-2RCyU

I think this is from a member here, or from another forum that went by the member name whiteknight aka Ed, if I recall correctly.
BigTone
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can remember to have a go pulling a pickup tonight.
BigTone
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the neck pickup from my set

Like I said I bought this set 10 years ago from a Japanese guitar dealer. I've never had reason before to think they were anything but genuine. I have an all original SA-1200 also fitted with dry z and these ones are certainly comparable
Dalko
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the beginning of 1982, the period of transition is confirmed. Guitar Hiro's theory of the transition period is confirmed as well.

The Dry-Z's that we saw in this topic for me are legitimate.

BigTone, thanks for pictures and enjoy your original Dry-Z's.
BigTone
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem a plausible explanation.
I did come across another picture of a set of pickups with three holes that claimed to be Dry Zs whilst searching google images. Had to go through a lot of pictures to find it and there was no real information when I went to the actual site so take of that what you will. Haven't been able to find them since.

Someone said that if they sound good to me then that's all that matters, and to a large extent that is true. Though even 10 years ago these were not cheap pickups by any extent and that was entirely down to the claim of them being Dry Zs, so I do have quite an interest on whether I can legitimately claim these to be Dry Zs still.

...Though I can't see myself selling them anytime soon. If I ever sell the guitar they're in I'll take them out and put the originals back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: