Dry Z pickup Set sales for 129,000 yen = $1,172 USD

Discussion area for Greco guitars

Moderators: ned, Grecomaniac

t.olsen
Guitar God

Post by t.olsen » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:25 am

wulfman wrote:I should have mentioned that the seller with the 3-hole bobbin set also sold 2 more sets recently, all with non-original covers. Not conclusive evidence, but there are tons of Maxon/Fujigen pickups out there to use if a person wanted to make a few sets. All they would need is a similar "Z" and number stamp.
That's the normal consequence if there is such a hype about an item...klon centaur is another example.Prices go up fakes pop off.Also the bixonic expandora goes for sale today for twice that much as 5 years ago.
I will wait til the Drys are over 2 grands.I will then take a set out of my 1200 and sell it expensive enough to buy another 1200 with Drys in it for that price :lol:

BigTone
I only know 3 chords

Post by BigTone » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:10 am

guitar hiro wrote:

It would be interesting to see ALL attributes of the three hole bobbin examples you speak of: the Z stamp, the serial number stamp, etc.

Screws can be changed, easily.
I'll see if I have any time over the weekend to pull one of the pickups and see what's on there.

When did this three hole thing not being dry Zs come about? I don't remember it ever being discussed when I was more active on here 10 years ago, and I can't find any discussions on it searching the forums

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:22 am

BigTone wrote:
guitar hiro wrote:

It would be interesting to see ALL attributes of the three hole bobbin examples you speak of: the Z stamp, the serial number stamp, etc.

Screws can be changed, easily.
I'll see if I have any time over the weekend to pull one of the pickups and see what's on there.

When did this three hole thing not being dry Zs come about? I don't remember it ever being discussed when I was more active on here 10 years ago, and I can't find any discussions on it searching the forums
I'm not aware of any three hole bobbin examples, thus my comment earlier stating that would be a 'red flag' IMO.

Having three hole bobbin examples present would not be out of the realm of possibility but from my limited experience it would be very uncommon, as I have seen none, to date.

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:05 am

I tried to edit my last post but the server is having some issues; Ned :lol:

One item to consider AFA the example Harold posted in post #2:
The six digit stamp on the base reads 211127.
The commonly held belief in this 'code' would result in these being possibly the latest set I have seen 1 = 1981, 11 = November, 27 = 27th day.
So, if these were produced/stamped on November 27, 1981, I assume there may be a possibility of a transition period AFA the bobbins used at that time. Just a thought but also just a guess.

Dalko
Plucker

Post by Dalko » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:29 pm

So, if I understand correctly, the set of dry-z's in the post 2 with 3 holes, was not the first one that we ever saw?

Dry-Z are rare, and even rarer without covers, and among them 2 sets with 3 holes. This is no longer an exception.

"Guitar hiro", your transition theory towards the end of 1981 seems to be right.

We are waiting for photos of Dry-Z's "BigTone" for confirmation.

wulfman
Guitar God

Post by wulfman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:34 pm

No more comments on this other than buyers need to do some research on Maxon and Fujigen pickups and available information from Jun Takano, the guy who designed the DRY-Z for Maxon.

If the 3-hole bobbin pickups sound good to you, that is all that matters.

Dalko
Plucker

Post by Dalko » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:15 am

We know that Jun Takano worked on Dry-Z's with Toshihide Ushimaru, who worked for Fujigen, and that towards the end of 1981 at the beginning of 1982, (it's not very clear ...) Fujigen begins to make his own pickups, with Toshihide Ushimaru as "Pickup Menager"

But, this transitory period is interesting, because that's where the answer might be , since it seems that a part of material of Maxon was recovered by Fujigen ... It may be the explanation of the riddle, and "Guitar Hiro" felt it

This is why it's important to have more information on this second set of Dry-Z'S with 3 holes.

"BigTone" some pictures of your Dry-Z's?
Last edited by Dalko on Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:18 am

Dalko wrote:So, if I understand correctly, the set of dry-z's in the post 2 with 3 holes, was not the first one that we ever saw?

Dry-Z are rare, and even rarer without covers, and among them 2 sets with 3 holes. This is no longer an exception.

"Guitar hiro", your transition theory towards the end of 1981 seems to be right.

We are waiting for photos of Dry-Z's "BigTone" for confirmation.

well, my theory is based on a 'hunch' & an assumption so, I wouldn't put a lot of weight into my theory.

I'm confident that Harold knows more about these pickups than most any member here. :)

As Harold has stated, "caveat emptor." :wink:

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:26 pm

did some diggin' 'round and found this.

Go to the 1:04 mark & check the Z stamps on the pickup bases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06RRj-2RCyU

I think this is from a member here, or from another forum that went by the member name whiteknight aka Ed, if I recall correctly.

BigTone
I only know 3 chords

Post by BigTone » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:38 am

I'll see if I can remember to have a go pulling a pickup tonight.

BigTone
I only know 3 chords

Post by BigTone » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Here's the neck pickup from my set
Like I said I bought this set 10 years ago from a Japanese guitar dealer. I've never had reason before to think they were anything but genuine. I have an all original SA-1200 also fitted with dry z and these ones are certainly comparable

Dalko
Plucker

Post by Dalko » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:39 pm

It's the beginning of 1982, the period of transition is confirmed. Guitar Hiro's theory of the transition period is confirmed as well.

The Dry-Z's that we saw in this topic for me are legitimate.

BigTone, thanks for pictures and enjoy your original Dry-Z's.

BigTone
I only know 3 chords

Post by BigTone » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:55 am

It does seem a plausible explanation.
I did come across another picture of a set of pickups with three holes that claimed to be Dry Zs whilst searching google images. Had to go through a lot of pictures to find it and there was no real information when I went to the actual site so take of that what you will. Haven't been able to find them since.

Someone said that if they sound good to me then that's all that matters, and to a large extent that is true. Though even 10 years ago these were not cheap pickups by any extent and that was entirely down to the claim of them being Dry Zs, so I do have quite an interest on whether I can legitimately claim these to be Dry Zs still.

...Though I can't see myself selling them anytime soon. If I ever sell the guitar they're in I'll take them out and put the originals back.

Sat2013
Power chords are my friend

Post by Sat2013 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:00 pm

Hi
The target resistance for the production of this pickup is 7.5 K.
Neck and Bridge is same .
The number should be close to this value, although there are some variations.
Some people sometimes sell fake items.
That's too bad.
And I assume the photos on Wikipedia are also fake and uploaded by the criminals.
The wax used in the real product is very high in quality, colorless and transparent, and does not change its color to green when oxidized over time. The back is green and the one stamped on the wax is almost fake.
The real Z stamp is on the layer below the wax.

Thx.
Sat Koiz
guitar hiro wrote:
wulfman wrote:IMO the Z is not correct, there are subtle differences. Good attempt though. Here is a picture of Z's in a guitar. Note how narrow the ends of the letter are. It CAN be smudged or have variation due to stamping but IMO buyer beware these days.

Hi Harold, I certainly agree with your point AFA "buyer beware" when looking at the overall set of attributes when considering the purchase of most any item, Dry Z pickups included.

Take for example the link you provide in post #2.
The base plates look legit with one of the latest serial numbers I have ever seen for a Dry Z.
You mentioned the third bobbin hole which I agree is a huge red flag for a Dry Z example.
The screw heads are also wrong; they should be single slotted.
I guess we can agree to disagree on the Z stamp itself, as I have had examples that have some variance within matched sets.
I have also seen this 'font variance' in multiple photographed examples, as Dalko has also provided.
AFA the example you provide in post #2: I believe the base plates are legit BUT I believe someone switched out the actual pickups & attached a different pickup to the Dry Z base plates.

AFA the set in the OP link there are two things that stand out:
The serial #s are one of the earliest I have seen for a Dry Z.
The claimed meter values of 7.87 & 7.97 are a bit higher than most reported 'nominal' values but are still within noted & reported values.
None the less likely the highest values I recall for a matched set.

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:33 pm

Yo Harold, I noticed the Z stamps on the pickup bases of your 1981 EGF-1600 (NS) are different.

The Z stamp on the bridge pickup is nice & crisp, and uniform.

The Z stamp on the neck pickup is quite distorted & 'fat' in two locations.

The two stamps look nothing alike but I have no doubt those are the real deal.
A = Alnico :lol: