Dry Z pickup Set sales for 129,000 yen = $1,172 USD

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No more comments on this other than buyers need to do some research on Maxon and Fujigen pickups and available information from Jun Takano, the guy who designed the DRY-Z for Maxon.

If the 3-hole bobbin pickups sound good to you, that is all that matters.

We know that Jun Takano worked on Dry-Z's with Toshihide Ushimaru, who worked for Fujigen, and that towards the end of 1981 at the beginning of 1982, (it's not very clear ...) Fujigen begins to make his own pickups, with Toshihide Ushimaru as "Pickup Menager"

But, this transitory period is interesting, because that's where the answer might be , since it seems that a part of material of Maxon was recovered by Fujigen ... It may be the explanation of the riddle, and "Guitar Hiro" felt it

This is why it's important to have more information on this second set of Dry-Z'S with 3 holes.

"BigTone" some pictures of your Dry-Z's?

Dalko said:
So, if I understand correctly, the set of dry-z's in the post 2 with 3 holes, was not the first one that we ever saw?

Dry-Z are rare, and even rarer without covers, and among them 2 sets with 3 holes. This is no longer an exception.

"Guitar hiro", your transition theory towards the end of 1981 seems to be right.

We are waiting for photos of Dry-Z's "BigTone" for confirmation.

well, my theory is based on a 'hunch' & an assumption so, I wouldn't put a lot of weight into my theory.

I'm confident that Harold knows more about these pickups than most any member here. :)

As Harold has stated, "caveat emptor." :wink:

did some diggin' 'round and found this.

Go to the 1:04 mark & check the Z stamps on the pickup bases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06RRj-2RCyU

I think this is from a member here, or from another forum that went by the member name whiteknight aka Ed, if I recall correctly.

Here's the neck pickup from my set
3QP5dMR.jpg

0UsjDw0.jpg

Like I said I bought this set 10 years ago from a Japanese guitar dealer. I've never had reason before to think they were anything but genuine. I have an all original SA-1200 also fitted with dry z and these ones are certainly comparable

It's the beginning of 1982, the period of transition is confirmed. Guitar Hiro's theory of the transition period is confirmed as well.

The Dry-Z's that we saw in this topic for me are legitimate.

BigTone, thanks for pictures and enjoy your original Dry-Z's.

It does seem a plausible explanation.
I did come across another picture of a set of pickups with three holes that claimed to be Dry Zs whilst searching google images. Had to go through a lot of pictures to find it and there was no real information when I went to the actual site so take of that what you will. Haven't been able to find them since.

Someone said that if they sound good to me then that's all that matters, and to a large extent that is true. Though even 10 years ago these were not cheap pickups by any extent and that was entirely down to the claim of them being Dry Zs, so I do have quite an interest on whether I can legitimately claim these to be Dry Zs still.

...Though I can't see myself selling them anytime soon. If I ever sell the guitar they're in I'll take them out and put the originals back.

Hi
The target resistance for the production of this pickup is 7.5 K.
Neck and Bridge is same .
The number should be close to this value, although there are some variations.
Some people sometimes sell fake items.
That's too bad.
And I assume the photos on Wikipedia are also fake and uploaded by the criminals.
The wax used in the real product is very high in quality, colorless and transparent, and does not change its color to green when oxidized over time. The back is green and the one stamped on the wax is almost fake.
The real Z stamp is on the layer below the wax.

Thx.
Sat Koiz

guitar hiro said:
wulfman said:
IMO the Z is not correct, there are subtle differences. Good attempt though. Here is a picture of Z's in a guitar. Note how narrow the ends of the letter are. It CAN be smudged or have variation due to stamping but IMO buyer beware these days.

Hi Harold, I certainly agree with your point AFA "buyer beware" when looking at the overall set of attributes when considering the purchase of most any item, Dry Z pickups included.

Take for example the link you provide in post #2.
The base plates look legit with one of the latest serial numbers I have ever seen for a Dry Z.
You mentioned the third bobbin hole which I agree is a huge red flag for a Dry Z example.
The screw heads are also wrong; they should be single slotted.
I guess we can agree to disagree on the Z stamp itself, as I have had examples that have some variance within matched sets.
I have also seen this 'font variance' in multiple photographed examples, as Dalko has also provided.
AFA the example you provide in post #2: I believe the base plates are legit BUT I believe someone switched out the actual pickups & attached a different pickup to the Dry Z base plates.

AFA the set in the OP link there are two things that stand out:
The serial #s are one of the earliest I have seen for a Dry Z.
The claimed meter values of 7.87 & 7.97 are a bit higher than most reported 'nominal' values but are still within noted & reported values.
None the less likely the highest values I recall for a matched set.

Yo Harold, I noticed the Z stamps on the pickup bases of your 1981 EGF-1600 (NS) are different.

The Z stamp on the bridge pickup is nice & crisp, and uniform.

The Z stamp on the neck pickup is quite distorted & 'fat' in two locations.

The two stamps look nothing alike but I have no doubt those are the real deal.

This is real datas of DRY-Z.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNzfm2FORII&feature=youtu.be

Sat

BigTone said:
Here's the neck pickup from my set

Like I said I bought this set 10 years ago from a Japanese guitar dealer. I've never had reason before to think they were anything but genuine. I have an all original SA-1200 also fitted with dry z and these ones are certainly comparable

Big Tone, Thanks for posting the images :)

Interesting to see all the attributes of the pickups in the two photos, including the third (squared) hole.

I am curious; do you know what guitar the pickups were removed from?

I'm glad they sound good to your ears! 8)

Sorry for the long delay in replying. I don't check this site very often these days and have no alerts for when someone replies to a thread.

I have no idea what guitar they were taken from as they were sold (by villager) as a stand alone set. This was back in around 2007 (I think, I'm getting fuzzy on the exact year) and I'm unsure how long he had them before I bought them.

For reference, Chris Buck bought a EGF1200 last year that had only the neck pickup dry Z remaining.
https://youtu.be/OLlOu-Dk1Ac

Here's a picture of the base with the distorted Z stamp
FOJJqSO.jpeg

https://youtu.be/sigF2ICbZA4

I haven't seen any pictures of it without it's cover but the serial number is fairly close to mine
Chris's 820226
Mine 820204

3QP5dMR.jpeg

Would be interesting to see a picture if he ever takes the cover off

Edit:
I've just checked the DC resistance for my set and they come out at 7.58k for the next and 7.71k for the bridge, so right in the supposed target zone

I've only just come across this video. Here the tone twins shoot out a Dry Z with a genuine PAF.
The tone twins have links with Chris Buck but this dry Z doesn't have anything to do with him having been loaned by Simon Howells
https://youtu.be/gpa-Gt1M_HE

Here's a picture of it without the cover showing 3 hole in the bobbin
Uao2UiS.jpeg

And a shot showing the stamp
hha5HuY.jpeg

Pity there's no serial number left on it

legitimate matched sets of Zs are getting more scare, quite rare it would seem and they are becoming quite expensive

here is a matched set of Zs from late 1981 with the 2 hole bobbins that sold a year ago for ball park $2K USD

Dry Z 811113.jpg

Z1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back