Tokai LS320 to History (Fujigen)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroomstudios

Reaction score
I have a few History guitars. Specifically I am referring to the GH-LCV

On pg 3 of this catalog

https://www.shimamura.co.jp/originalbrand/pdf/History201301.pdf

I have two of these guitars and they are top of the line great guitars. Funny thing is the two I have have sequential serial numbers. Yeah, what is the chance of that considering I bought both of them used from different people. I have been thinking for a long time of getting a new or new-ish Tokai LS-320. But then they have the GH-LSV. On the same page 3 of the catalog. The LSV has

MOP inlays
Long tenons

For the other features they are probably very similar to the Tokai. I cannot remember if the Tokai has long tenons but I know if does not have MOP.

Anyone every used both of these guitars and can give a comparison?

The LS320 vs the Gh-LSV

I have a History but it's a jazzbox so i can't really comment other to say i'd love to try the Cocobolo fretboard of the GH-LCV. I've never owned a LS320 either though.... hard decision.

I envy your guitar budget !!!

Good luck

Yeah, I love the Historys. I paid about a 1/4 of the new asking price for the LCV's I have. The Tokais pretty much sell for close to the asking. I think they have a larger following. As for the LSV I have only seen those for 1/2 of the asking so I have not got one yet. One day I will see one for a 1/4 of the asking then I will get it. I mean they are just such great guitars I was just wondering if the LS320 was any better.

Will I every buy a LS320? Probably not I am just really couscous how they compare. MOP inlays and long tenons is just a no brainier for the Historys. The FGN 20E guitars have the same thing and are almost half the list of the GH LCV model. With the exception of the 3 piece Maple neck and maple top they are pretty much identical besides pickups. Oh, and the neck is a little bit slimmer on the GH than the 20E.

ls-320 have long tenon, 1 piece Honduran backs, fret end binding, Seth lovers and braz boards..but not mop inlays..they are absolutely brilliant guitars, the historys are also excellent, but not up to the same overall build specs..look at the prices for the times .. the 320 is a better specced and therefore more expensive guitar

I have owned several older, lower & mid grade History examples & also the full range of vintage & newer Tokai. IMO the History guitars, through all price ranges, have an excellent build qualilty & quality control. IMO I cannot say that for the vintage Tokai but the newer Tokai IMO have a better build quality & quality control.
I sold almost all of my vintage Tokai because I prefer newer build (in most any brand) which IMO has better quality. I purchased a LS-320 over ten years ago. It has ALL of the 'right' timbers; Honduran mahogany back & neck, 4A Eastern hard maple top, and I'm not so sure the so called Jacaranda fingerboard is not actually Brazilian. Why? The fingerboard is super oily; it feels like the finest small thread silk but it emits its' own oil. The fingerboard also has a very 'sweet' fragrance & it looks like old skool Braz. Is the 320 fingerboard Brazilian, or is it from Mars? I don't know.
When I purchased the 320 over ten years ago I thought I was nuts for paying what I paid for it but now I wouldn't sell it for anything.
When you are in the LS-320 club, and particularly so, when you have been there for a decade plus, you realize you have something so rare & so special, that not much else really matters. 8) Not even vintage Tokai. :D

Just took a look at the Tokai site:

https://theguitarshop2.jp/catalogue/catalogue-30/

I guess it is now the LS 390. Last time a looked a few years the top was something else.

I guess I will have to put that on my wish list to get. I have ordered custom guitars from Tokai before. Well as of now I have received stock guitars from them via order. I meet Shohei at last years NAMM show and emailed him back and forth. Placing one stock order they already had at the factory and I have a custom tele on order that should be done in a month or so. Already paid 50% deposit when I ordered it 6 months ago. Anyways, I am wondering if they could do a custom order 390 to USA. I know there is the gibson thing that they cannot sell here but since I have ordered custom stuff from them before maybe they will look the other way. I do not know how much custom I would order but it they could do it MOP inlays and Reborn old on the headstock I would be very happy with that. On top of that the custom order would be 50% now and 50% in 6-8 months from when it is ordered. Which makes the price a little easier to swallow.

I forgot: The LS-320 was the longest running top end Tokai LS model, produced from 1996 to 2003, if I recall correctly. Someone, please correct me if I am incorrect. Pretty amazing for a 'catalog' model but only order made upon request. 8) Mine was ordered by Big Boss Freaks Market :p according to the warranty card 8)

@guitar hiro

Would you say the build quality of Tokai (speaking of the ls320 quality here) and high end Historys are the same or close to the same? I know the quality of wood is marked as better with the LS 320 with 4A flame top etc. It seems like the Historys have more standard heritage wood. VS the cream of the crop Tokai LS 320 wood.

aroomstudios said:
@guitar hiro

Would you say the build quality of Tokai (speaking of the ls320 quality here) and high end Historys are the same or close to the same? I know the quality of wood is marked as better with the LS 320 with 4A flame top etc. It seems like the Historys have more standard heritage wood. VS the cream of the crop Tokai LS 320 wood.

I judge build quality in regard to fit & finish, and attention to detail.

I see the grade of timbers used as a spec attribute, not as a build quality attribute.

Others may view those attributes as a whole but I differentiate between the two; apples & oranges to me.

I have had only one LS-320 example in my hands; the one I have owned for over ten years so, I only have that one example for a reference point.

There is no denying the timbers used for the LS-320 are 'top spec' particularly so the Honduran body & neck, and the Brazilian fingerboard.

I would say that my LS-320 seems to have a better overall build quality than 'vintage' Tokai examples I have had in my hands.

From the History guitars I have seen & played I would say the build quality is just as good as the LS-320 I have, and possibly just a bit better.

@guitar hiro

Thanks for the info. That is very useful. The build quality is just amazing on the GH-LCV I have. On top of that I put Throbak 101+ pickups in it and it just smokes with how it sounds. I really could not imagine much better build quality on any guitar. I would love to one day get a 320 just for the timbers. But it is really hard to pass up the GH line of History guitars for the price of them.

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back