Setup Guide for Love Rock?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbo475

Reaction score
Hi all,

I changed strings on my LS-125 (2007 I believe) to Elixir Nano 10-46 as the strings I bought it with were old and a bit rusty. I got it 2nd hand so not 100% sure what was on it previously (but previous owner thinks they were 9-42).
When i first got the guitar the action was pretty low (lower than I'm used to) but after string change I was getting major buzz on thick e string around 12th fret area when fretting (I'm used to a strat type guitar with fairly high action so I'm probably a bit heavy-handed).

I've raised the action a fair bit on the thick e string side (also a bit on the thin e string side as I was struggling with bends on really low action) to get rid of most of the buzz but also noticed the neck relief was higher than normal (which would be expected with thicker gauge).

I'm adjusting neck relief in the hope that this might allow me to bring the action down a bit but not sure what it's supposed to be. I suspect following Les Paul instructions is probably fine but don't want to necessarily assume this is thew case.

Do I just use same instructions as a Les Paul for a setup guide? Do people have any useful tips for setting up a Love Rock? At some point I'll take it in for a pro setup but wanted to have a crack (hopefully not literally) at it myself. I'd like to get the action down on the thick e string side a bit.

The pickups (stock) are also flush with the top of the rings so also wondering if they should be raised a bit (especially as I've raised the action). How high do people have their pickups (I know this can be a preference thing but would like to know what works well for others)?

Cheers,

Timbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oArF-4nUl38

And a thoroughly entertaining (and useful) Les Paul set up video from our good pal Joe Walsh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7gMwE7phoM

Set it up as per Gibson...
THEN adjust to taste.
As far as pickups go, IF you find they're too muddy, lower them a couple of turns, raise the pole screws a couple of turns. Keep adjusting until you find the balance you like.
Myths - Screwing the stopbar down improves... anything. It doesn't make a positive difference to anything. Believed this myth for 35 years. Recently adjusted it back to where the factory set it back in the 80s. Sound didn't change, sustain didn't change, but the strings feel a bit looser.
Top wrapping - see stop bar... Only thing you'll achieve here is you'll bugger up the plating and then the steel/sweat/aluminium will set up a cell and corrode the aluminium. Raise the stopbar a couple of turns.

Latest posts

Back