Fake Tokai LP?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crashmount

Reaction score
I am new to the forum (actually I'm new to Tokai guitars), so please forgive me if this topic is discussed somewhere else.

I have just traded for a Tokai Les Paul copy that I was told was an ALS40. Having done research for the past few hours, it seems that perhaps I have gotten hold of a fake? The truss rod cover has one screw (not bell-shaped) and the serial number on the back of the headstock is not stamped, but screen printed. The top line says "Manufactured under license for Tokai Gakki Co. Ltd." The second line says Make in Korea Serial #050341

The top of the headstock looks correct, the shape seems to be right, it plays well, and the fit and finish are very nice.

Any help is appreciated.

It sounds like one of the infamous Canadian Fakai's. They were made in Korea in the Dillion factory unauthorised by Tokai, yours is 2005 made. I'm from Canada so i've heard that they were usually made to a higher spec than Tokai's Korean models of the time. See lots in the local classifieds etc. I've also heard that they are hit and miss in regards to quality and playability. I've never had one in my hands though so judge the guitar for yourself. I hope you gotta "Hit".

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the reply! I must have gotten a "hit" because the playability and build quality is better than I expected. The pearl-inlaid humbuckers are uninspiring but not horrible.

My main concern was that if I resell it, I didn't want to misrepresent it as a Tokai if it wasn't.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back