• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS: Tokai 44 Magnum, 1980, excellent condition, rare

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrettyBlue1

Reaction score
As mentioned in my first posting, I am cleaning out my Tokai collection. Here's another one, a very rare bird and a real collector's item. I could only find one other somewhere online, and it seems there's one bass guitar somewhere, but that's about all. I had this one in my collection since 2001 or so.

Anyway, I'm selling my 1980 Tokai 44 Magnum. This model never made it to any of the Tokai catalogues, so either it was a very shortlived model, or maybe Tokai made just a few prototypes for a NAMM show.
It has the old logo so must be from 1980 or 1981. The bodyshape itself was used for the 1984 TZ and VX series (to be found in the catalogues) but as said, this 44 Magnum never got there and was probably a promotional model.

Great quality guitar. One piece maple neck, trussrod adjustment at the heel, ash body with a bookmatched flame maple top, single binding, single humbucker, classic 70's Strat tremolo bridge with big block, Tokai Deluxe (kluson type) tuners, nitro finish.
All original, except for the volume pot that has been replaced some years ago. The guitar is in a 9/10 condition at least. No major dings or dongs, some play wear, and the nitro finish has aged gracefully.
Tokai only used nitro finishes on their top of the line guitars, so this one was probably meant to show off their workmanship.

Now, how do you appraise such an instrument? I got no clue. The other one was originally listed over €1200, although not in fully working order anymore, and some ugly transfer had been applied on the lacquer. So I'm putting this one on € 1250 (or $ 1325, or GBP 1000, ex shipping) and see what happens. Maybe it's too much, maybe it's way too low, I don't know. As said, as far as I know until now there are only two known to exist. Any decent offers will be considered.

Here's a link for some high quality images:

https://www.louder.com/de/offer/2470-tokai-44-magnum

In case any of you would like to receive the original images by email, please send me a message at: [email protected]

Latest posts

Back