I think it's a ES-155-SR but is it?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke

Reaction score
Hi there,

[apologies, initially posted in wrong sub-group :oops:]

I have a Tokai (335 shape) which I'm trying to identify/age. I bought it from a colleague in about 2003/4, I'm not sure where he got it from but he said it had PRS pickups in it.

I know it's not Japanese as it's got made in Korea on the neck (no flies on me). But I can't see a serial number anywhere which makes me wonder about it - perhaps it's fake? it doesn't have square inlays on the neck so I don't think it's a ES-160-SR is it a ES-155-SR?

I'm not an expert but it 'feels' and looks very well made and plays great.

Snaps below:

DSC03133web.jpg

DSC03136web.jpg

DSC03136web.jpg

DSC03132web.jpg

DSC03137web.jpg

DSC03134web.jpg

DSC03138web.jpg

DSC03135web.jpg

Any advice or comments most welcome.

Thanks,

Luke

brokentoes said:
Made in Korea Tokai's had no serial numbers. It looks like a nice axe.

Hey Brokentoes, thanks for the tip! it's a nice tool, lovely red especially in the sunshine! model-wise do you think it's the ES-155-SR ? any idea on date?

Only a MIJ can be over ES-95 models.. Korean and chinese are ES-60

Regards.

Luke said:
Hey Brokentoes, thanks for the tip! it's a nice tool, lovely red especially in the sunshine! model-wise do you think it's the ES-155-SR ? any idea on date?

Difficult to be exact on dates because of the lack of serial numbers, but it was probably only a few years old when you bought it.

I agree with Luis, it's almost certainly an ES60. Is there a sticker or anything visible in the f-hole?

Thanks guys for the replies and the clarification on (almost certainly!) the exact model. I can't see any stickers or labels inside the F holes unfortunately. As a general rule then the higher the model number the better the model itself?

My old man cleaned it up a while back and had a look at the pickups, see below. Unfortunately I don't have the originals. I think PRS are pretty good though?

pickup.jpg

I'm umming and arrrring about selling it or trading it in but unsure how to value it - maybe just let the ebay market decide![/img]

Back