Tokai SG identification serial no CH

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WendyB

Reaction score
I purchased a Tokai SG yesterday, serial number CH08081268.
I would have guessed it was made in China in 2008, it is first Tokai I have owned and it is very musical sounding.

Can anyone confirm if it is made in China?

Have uploaded a couple of photos to my website, please see links below. I am new to this site.

www.whirligig.madasafish.com/wendy/serial%20no.jpg

www.whirligig.madasafish.com/wendy/SG%201.jpg

Thanks for your help in advance.

Wendy

8)

p.s. Paladin2019 has kindly told me it was made in China. Does CH stand for China? or Cherry? Am now looking through some catalogues on line.

Thanks 8)
Do you know how you tell which model it is?

I found a catalogue online probably from 2008 and it said there were 3 different models of Tokai SG made, an SG155, SG75 and SG43.
There is nothing written on the guitar anywhere that I can see. even in the inside where the pots are.

SG-43 If its a set neck SG, and if i have the right catalog. lol.

Welcome to the forum.

Agreed, SG43 is the only one of the three which would have been made in China. The numbers represent the list price in 000's of Japanese yen. SG75 and above would be made in Japan.

Thanks for the info, I am suprised at how good the quality is for a guitar made in China.
I am thinking of upgrading it a bit as I am a semi pro musician and would like to keep this guitar for playing gigs with. It is very easy to play and so light that it doesn't hurt my back either, am very happy with it. I prefer it's playability to a USA Gibson SG that I nearly purchased last year. 8)

In my experience the weak links in this and similar guitars are the electronics and nut. Upgrade those and you'll have a workhorse that lasts forever. Pickups are optional depending on taste.

Latest posts

Back