Tokai SG118 and SG92

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perverockstar

Reaction score
Hello, new here.

I'm considering buying a current japanese and I'm looking at these two models, SG113 and SG92. Can someone provide me the differences between these two? Do you know if the finish is nitro?

Which one would be closer to an SG Standard from 2012 in feel?

Thank you

Out of the current 2018 models only the sg215 is nitro. Everything else from sg124 down is poly. Though you can contact Tokai and order anything in nitro. The up-charge is about $200 USD from poly to nitro.

2018 catalog in English

https://www.theguitarshop.jp/catalogue/catalogue-html/catalogue-page.html

If it says lacquer it is nitro if it says nothing it is poly.

Yes, the SG215 is from the volume 30 catalog with was released in 2018. So, the model is current as of 2018.

If you are asking if it is like this one:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Custom/Standard-Historic-SG-Standard.aspx

The Gibson is 1 piece body the Tokai is 2 piece. Any Tokai you can contact them and have the options upgraded. You could order this is 1 piece body if you want for an upgraded price. I am not sure what type of neck is on the tokai. You would have to contact them to find out if it was the same type as the Gibson. The PU in the Gibson are Alnico III 8.5k and 8k

Pickups Rhythm Lead
Style: Custom Bucker Custom Bucker
Winds/Coil: Screw side/Slug side: 5000-4730 5000-4730
Material of Wire (gauge): #42 Enamel #42 Enamel
Coil Dimensions (per coil): 2.61 x.68 x .375" 2.61 x.68 x .375"
Coil Material: ABS ABS
Coil Winding Process: Machine Wound Machine Wound
Pole Piece Material: 416 Grade Stainless Steel 416 Grade Stainless Steel
Pole Piece Position from Nut: 18.625" 59.7 cm / 23.5"
Slug Material: 416 Grade Stainless Steel 416 Grade Stainless Steel
Slug Dimensions (diameter x length): .190 x .480" .190 x .480"
Magnet Material: Alnico III Alnico III
Magnet Position from Nut: 18.975" 58.36 cm / 22.975"
Magnet Dimensions: 2.5 x .5 x .125" 2.5 x .5 x .125"
Polarities: Nickel Nickel
Qfactor: 8.0k 8.5k

I am sure you could order aftermarket PUs that sound much better from any boutique PU company. Like these. Or just order a quality PAF from a PU company. Whatever you like on this. Anyways, the big difference between the two are the 1 piece body vs 2 piece body.

Tokais website:

https://www.theguitarshop.jp/

Tokai Contact forum

http://www.tokaijapan.com/postmail-utf/postmail.html

Does the one piece Honduras mahogany makes a big difference?

About the finish I'm fine with Poly anyway.

I do need something very very solid and inspiring though.

Thank you

I really do not know about Honduras mahogany vs other types of mahogany. I do not have any SG model guitars anymore. Had one years ago but it never really got used much and I sold it. Thought about getting an old Burny or Tokai SG but have not got one yet. I have 5 different Les Paul Models (3 Tokai's, 1 Burny, 1 Warmoth). 3 vintage early 80's 2 new past 5 years. I think all of them are just mahogany. Some have rosewood necks one Ebony and one has maple. They all sound different but I think it is because of other factors.

Hopefully someone else will comment on the Honduras mahogany. You could post this in a forum elsewhere as the type of mahogany has nothing to do with Tokai. You would probably get a better answer there.

My guess would be other thing have more to do with tone then what type mahogany is used. Like how well the guitar is put together, electronics etc.

Do you want a newer guitar? If you are okay with an old one from 1980 or so. There are a good amount of used ones around. Personally I would probably order a old one but that is up to you. You can get a Burny RSG 75 for pretty cheep around $450-$600 USD with shipping included from around the world. I saw a good one on Reverb.com a few months ago for $450 with $125 SH or so. I think it was a 1980 or so. I should have picked that one up. I have not looked into the 1980s used Tokais as much but I think they are about double what the Burnys sell for.

I think I don't care about the Honduras mahogaby but maybe I'll sti get that premium. The price different is not huge and seems like a really nice guitar.

Now I have to find a dealer near Sweden.

Latest posts

Back