Are TOKAIs at Crossroad Guitars same as ones at GTR UNIVERSE

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teisco

Reaction score
Hi - I just saw the tokai acoustic TJE65 at Crossroads for 719 Canadian dollars, which is more than $50 CHEAPER than Guitar Universe in Japan. How could this be? Is the acoustic at Crossroads made in Korea rather than Japan (if so then the Japanese and Korean Tokais have EXACTLY the same model number)? Or is Guitar Universe just expensive?

I know lots of the electrics they sell in Canada are made in Korea, but I don't know about the acoustics. They look identical in pictures.

Confused...please help!

The exchange rate has a lot to do with pricing. Also, different retailers will set their price differently depending on how many they usually sell.

Ned

So apparently the Tokais at Crossroads are made in Korea and the ones at Guitar Universe are made in Japan, but the guitars have IDENTICAL model names.

The Tokai acoustics in the UK are MUCH more expensive than in America, and the UK Tokais are often made in Japan. So this is why the Tokais in Canada and USA are so **** cheap?

Are the Japanese ones supposed to be far superior? They are certainly more expensive...

Teisco...I live about 5 minutes from Crossroads, and I could stop in there on Saturday and check it out for you. It may possibly be Korean, but I know he's particular about the instruments he puts on his wall.

Besides, I'll use any excuse to go into a music store and check out the Tokais! :wink:

Cool! Thanks, Novosel.

If you could ask him what the difference is between his electro-acoustic TJE65 and the ones they sell in Japan, that would be great. His one is definitely cheaper (than in Japan) and I'm pretty sure they're Korean, but I wonder what the difference is between Jap Tokai and Korean Tokai for the acoustic. It would also be interesting to know how much he could get the Japanese ones for so we know how much more a Japanese Tokai costs.

Maybe MIJ Tokai vs MIK Tokai is like USE Fender vs Mexican Fender??

ps: I'm jealous that you live so close to a Tokai dealer.

Checked out Crossroads on Saturday, but unfortunately the E65 is no longer for sale. He had four 55's (not electrics), and all his stuff is Korean. But they all sounded rich, had comfortable necks, and solid (spruce?) tops. The natural finish went for $550 CAN (approx $360 US) and the sunburst finish was a little more. The owner was too busy at the time to get more info out of. Sorry.

But I did get to play a Tokai SG, 335. Strat, PRS and Love Rock. Man, that Goldstar Strat in Surf Green with a maple neck gave me G.A.S.! :D

(G.A.S. = Guitar Aquisition Syndrome)

Again, I am jealous that you have access to all these Tokais! (I have G.A.S. all the time)

Teisco, if the MIJ E65 is better quality than the MIK one, then it is one fine acoustic, because I was pretty satisfied with the sound and playability of the Korean models I tried. Amazingly enough, all four of them I played all sounded identical, which is something you don't often find in acoustics.

The Japanese I tried was simply the best acoustic I've played (honest), better than the real Gibson one. I haven't tried the ones from the 60s or 70s as I'm not an acoustic fanatic, but I have played the new gibson and epiphone ones, and the Tokai one really was the best.

Maybe the wood is different and the pickup is better? Anyone?

Resuscitation!

Could someone identify this guitar? Japanese one I assume? Any comments would be more than welcomed.

Many thanks in advance

https://imgur.com/Nv1morM

https://imgur.com/bzQG38I

https://imgur.com/5wHg6eI

The MIJs have Japan stamped in ink on the neck block. This model has not been made in Japan since the late 90s no matter what the label says.They are now made in either Korea or China.

Here is a late 90s Japan model owned by an guy I know. https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/tokai-gibson-j-160e-copy-made-in-japan-john-lennon-the-beatles/1268376577

tOKAI STATRTED TO STAMP "mADE IN jAPAN" in black ink on headstock back around 2004 when foreign (Korea, later China) increased prodi¡uction and because there was a issue with canadians sellers

Latest posts

Back