1984 Tokai Breezysound bridge pickup question.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikeymikey

Reaction score
Hi there folks,

I have a 1984 Tokai Breezysound TE50. It's a nice guitar but was at sometime routed for a humbucker in the middle area just in front of the bridge pickup. It now has a DiMarzio Twang King in the neck which sounds really good and the original pickup in the bridge, which has since been wax potted as it squealed like hell.! The humbucker is not installed and there's just the hole under the pickguard.

I want to ask: What's the general opinion of the original pickups on one of these TE50's? I think this bridge unit sounds a little harsh, maybe kind of brittle so I'm thinking of getting it replaced. ALso the guitar lacks sustain despite the neck pocket being really tight. any suggestions on remedying this. It's a great player and has a two piece body.

Thanks in advance!

M.

Hi there Felix,

No, I've installed a 250K tone and volume. The volume pot was 1meg actually, for some reason? But when I got it , it was being used as an Esquire, with only the bridge pickup on the guitar. It sounded terrible unless the volume was full on!

spikeymikey said:
Hi there Felix,

No, I've installed a 250K tone and volume. The volume pot was 1meg actually, for some reason? But when I got it , it was being used as an Esquire, with only the bridge pickup on the guitar. It sounded terrible unless the volume was full on!

Hi :wink:

I asked because mine and I think also other Breezy's at that time (1980) came with factory original 1Meg tone and Vol. pots, talk about harsh! :eek: :wink:

It sounded much nicer once I had had some 250K pots in there.

Right, thanks again Felix.

Yes, this sounds much better than it did since I put in the 250K's. Today I raised the pickup a little as I'd screwed it right down to try to tame it a bit when it had the 1Meg volume pot and it now sounds pretty **** good!

The DiMarzio Twang King sounds stellar in this guitar so I may still replace the bridge unit with one of these, but for now it ain't bad. Do most people leave the pickups alone on Breezy's do you know, that was kind off my original question?

Cheers

M

spikeymikey said:
The DiMarzio Twang King sounds stellar in this guitar so I may still replace the bridge unit with one of these, but for now it ain't bad. Do most people leave the pickups alone on Breezy's do you know, that was kind off my original question?

Cheers

M

I also did change the TEA (bridge) with a DiMarzio DP114-VT1 after placing the 250K pots on my Breezy.

Latest posts

Back