Tokais HLS, LS, ULS.. what are those variants

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harima_San

Reaction score
Hello felllow.

As I grew up. The normal tokais had the name LS. Sometimes ALS when they where made in Korea.

Now, we have the HLS series, that are special runs made for Musicland Key.
http://www.musicland.co.jp/content/tokai/hls-max-1959/

And I saw ULS types on Reverb. What are they ?

Ah yes... I forgot, there are LS1 and LS2's that are for the german market too. That are also a special variant/run of the traditionnal tokai's.

...this is becoming quite difficult to see through.

HLS (Hibiki LS) have some some different specs as a lower body angle from 4'5º in regular to 3'8ºin Hibikis, it makes the guitar more accurate to vintage specs. Carving is sligthly different too (plainer than LS) and neck pickup cavitie is locat (not braided wire made and a bit hotter) to them. Besides, these Hibikis have a different nut material instead of bone to some kind of nylon related (I have a guitar with vinbtage correct nylon 6/6 from a well known canadian luthier and it makes the sound sligth different, I do love it!). The neck has a inbetween 59 and 60 shape, very comfortable. Tokai do not have these specs for their custom shop models , if you want it have to buy an HLS. I guess they will be collection pieces in future....

Back