80s Tokai Strat type guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroomstudios

Reaction score
I have a brand new top of the line Goldstar strat from Tokai. It is a great guitar but now I sort of want a 80s one. What is the difference with a

AST-56 from 1985 and a ST80 from 1981 or so?

I have a bunch of LS series guitars for the early 80s. Those ones seem to almost be easier to know what ones are good. Just get a early 80s ls80 or above. With the strat type ones there are so many different types of them. The st80 from early 80s seems to be the one to get that I see right now. But they go for $1,500 USD or so. Some of the other ones go for $600-$900 and they seem pretty close in specs. I am just really not sure though.

I would like a nitro finish. Any advise on what to get or look for?

aroomstudios said:
I have a brand new top of the line Goldstar strat from Tokai. It is a great guitar but now I sort of want a 80s one. What is the difference with a

AST-56 from 1985 and a ST80 from 1981 or so?

I don't exactly know the specs on a 1985 AST-56, but I'll give you the specs of my 1981 ST80R, and what I think is different or not;

(different to AST-56,I think?)
- Nitro finish
- V shaped neck
- E pickups
- (mostly) 2 or (rarely) 1 piece body
- '7okai' logo
- 'correct' headstock shape
- first two digits on (7 digit) serial number indicate year of production

(first half of 1981?)
- Tokai stamped saddles and tuners
- hex truss rod adjuster (neck heel)

(not sure of 'different')
- 7.25" radius
- vintage (small) frets

Thanks for that. I got the Strat book from member "iainblack" yesterday in digital format.

http://www.blurb.co.uk/my/book/detail/2060524

That pretty much says what you just said. But has a bit more info in it. From the looks I should just save up and get a early 80's ST80.

Latest posts

Back