Tokai LS Quilt HDC identify model

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter warren

Reaction score
Hi, just bought a used Tokai LP quilt in what I think is dark cherry. The serial number starts 04xxxx.... I don't know the model. The body is one piece as is the maple cap. There is no MIJ sticker. In the bridge pup cavity there is writing:"3-25 HDC". The bottom of the pups have red bound stickers that say LP-F R or F and "Japan" is stamped in the bottom of the pup frame. It is a normal neck Tenon. Interested to know the model.

I have already an LC225 that I obtained in 2015 and is my pride and joy. This one will join it.

Any feedback will be gratefully received.

Photos are needed but with those pickups and a normal tenon, chances are the back is actually a well matched 2 piece and the top is a veneer. It sounds like a MIJ ls85q or whatever the number was for that model in 2004.

Top is a veneer, cant see the join even in the end grain or in the pup cavities if its a two piece although that wouldn't worry me. Same with the cap, there is no join visible but I am happy with it even if there was.

From Tokai:
"Thanks for the pictures. The model should be the special order in 2004 made in Japan. The model is based on LS135, it should adopt quilted veneer and MOP inlay. P.U. name LP-F is the parts name in factory.
HDC express Heritage Dark Cherry color"

So its an LS135Q special order. Happy days!! :D

peter warren said:
From Tokai:
"Thanks for the pictures. The model should be the special order in 2004 made in Japan. The model is based on LS135, it should adopt quilted veneer and MOP inlay. P.U. name LP-F is the parts name in factory.
HDC express Heritage Dark Cherry color"

So its an LS135Q special order. Happy days!! :D

Was the special spec the one piece veneer? Do you have some pictures?

Back in 2004 I believe the Ls135q would have been called the Ls85q (or close to it). The numbers change over time and reflect the list price which is affected by inflation.

Too fiddly to post pictures on here but I sent good quality pictures of all around the guitar including close up of back, maple cap from inside cavity and the markings in the pup cavities, underside of pups, bridge, tail stop, serial number etc to Tokai and they responded with "custom build based on LS 135Q".

Been doing some more research and one view is that back in 2004 the ls135 had similar spec to later day ls150 with a one piece Honduras mahogany back, solid maple top but with a 2 piece quilt veneer in this case. The neck sits deeper in the cavity by 2/3 mm in comparison to my LC. All the other bits could have been added later of course but tail stop is gotoh aluminium, bridge is gotoh with brass saddles, pots are cts and caps are orange drop. Switch and jack are both switchcraft. The pups are Tokai factory parts with higher output than the Tokai mkii's. This spec fits closely to premium range guitars (of which I have an LC225 in WR). Apparently early 135's were Tokai versions of the Giby R8 and whilst I don't have one to compare my son has an R9 and this custom built ls135Q is near equal in both sound and build quality with a fuller neck. This is a rock guitar and no mistake. Here is my LC225 https://petewarrenguitarclinic.com/tokai-lc225/
I will post the ls135q story here at some point.

CTS pots and an alu TP are certainly markers of the more high end models. Is there binding on the fret ends?

Honestly, pictures would be a big help and a possible future reference for others.

Latest posts

Back