Just got a ST50 , 1982 Possibly- Springy or Goldstar ... ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klickflip

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’ve finally got my hands on a st50 .
So thought I’d share it here and ask a few questions .

Photos
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4wjb6ebeplxehue/AAAAqm4cr3K1pzttcO4ovnEKa?dl=0

Firstly the neck is best I’ve ever felt , the finishing is sublime , so smooth , not a fret or board edge to be felt anywhere up the neck!
And realise I much prefer vintage radius necks (had a fender 60s reissue a few years ago that I miss)
Though the frets are pretty flat , but don’t show much wear , are they all like that.
I think it’s a C neck, very comfy.

Colour is not my fav so considering changing it but don’t want to ruin a decent vintage guitar . I think scratch plate will be changed first , not sure what suits a candy red one best . Actually the paint looks great , but on while guitar a bit much for me.

Seller said he got it in 1985, and thought it was from 1982. There headstock decal was sanded off when he got it so he got it put back on.

The neckplate serial number ties in for a st50 but neck looks
more like ones I’ve seen on Goldstars rather than Springy

So it may be a 1884 Goldstar . Plus the tuners say deluxe not Tokai. And the saddles say final prospect.

He said it had CS69s pickups , but I’m not convinced as have these in a fender classic player 60s. And the fender has so much more clarity and mid punch.
These sound much more mushy and bassy, and lack the clarity of my cs69s.

To my ears they sound like generic 62s or Mexican pups. Not bad but definitely not as quality sounding as cs69s.

So here’s some photos , and welcome any thoughts or chat. ;)

Cheers
Steve
[/img]

Hi and welcome to the forum.

About the final prospec saddles and deluxe tuners, I believe 1982 was when those started.

felixcatus said:
Hi and welcome to the forum.

About the final prospec saddles and deluxe tuners, I believe 1982 was when those started.

Thanks

So mine may have bits that were more commonly seen on Goldstars , but first introduced on 1982 Springys onwards, and that might explain the neck headstock trus rod filler detail bit compared to older ones that don't have that.

Steve
I followed this guitar and thought about buying it.
I own a 1983 Goldstar which is very, very similar to this guitar.
My serial number is 15571, so it should be close. Apart from the obvious changes, everything tallies with mine.
I got the guitar brand new in autumn 1983, so know it's correct.
By the way, I bought a rosewood board Goldstar instead!!!
Hodge

Steve
My serial number is 15571, so it should be close. Apart from the obvious changes, everything tallies with mine.
Hodge

Hodge69 said:
Steve
Hodge

Ha , small world! Mind there must only be a regular core of people looking at 80s Tokais compared to fender strats.

That’s great to know Hodge.. thanks.
The serial tied up thanks to this website info , which made me go for it .
Think I got it for a bargain in the end , but it is a pretty awful colour combo!
Which probably put a lot of people off bidding on it.

Definitely has cs69s , so have some investigating to do why it isn’t sounding as bright and chimey as my other Strat , could be the pots or caps.

I’ve ordered a tortoise shell and a black pearl pickgaurd with black plastics to see what suits .

So tempted to sand it down and leave a bit of the original red on edges . Spray it black , nitro finish, then relic it a touch and show some of the original colour coming through on parts . And finish it with a mint 3 ply pickgaurd...

But it’s set up so nicely , low action but no major buzzing and It bends no problem without it choking out. So scared to loose this setup if I take it apart to paint!

Funny I normally hate maple fretboards But getting on ok with this one , think must be the fender satin finish ones I hate that are so slippery .
I may sand the back of neck to remove lacquer tho , it is a bit sticky.

Do wish it was a rosewood board like yours tho for looks tho ;)

Cheers!

Back