Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar shopping in Tokyo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the Tokais I hear you cry

I just cant get on with the AST headstock for 452 quid! I know it may be an excellent guitar but asthetics matter to me (sorry!)

even if they have matching colour headstocks!
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the one that got away. In the second hand section I found a few Tokais:

A silver star for 172 and the original logo one was was nearer 140 with the exchange rate back in summer 2016

Why, oh why didnt I snap it up!!
felixcatus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iainblack wrote:

Why, oh why didnt I snap it up!!

You didn't !?!?....... ....... nontheless , thanks again for taking the time to post and share these very cool and 'adventures' photos.
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Across the street at the Big Boss Super Guitar shop, all 5 floors including basement

There must be a shortage of wood!

They do Gretsch too

iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, i should also mention a store called Hard Off, there are a number of branches in Tokyo and across Japan. They have 5 floors of 2nd hand stuff including instuments. I posted a few shots of the Burny Les Pauls earlier.

These were really interesting but I dont think they liked you taking photos. I saw an Epiphone Les Paul Deluxe in white and it had the correct open book headstock and was mint condition for around 250

I also took a photo of one of the other floors (retro toys!)

iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so Im running out of photos and its time for the junk story that lead to my only other purchase. I'd read during my research that there were also 'junk' areas in the guitar shops where they were just trying to get rid of stuff, like a bargain bin.

In most of the shops I would go up and ask the shop assistants if they had and second hand tweed tokai cases (you gotta try and house them in the real thing!) And, besides if I got a case then why not fill it with a guitar.

Some pretty much everyone I spoke to smiled and looked at me as if I was mad (like asking for a copy of Fly Fishing by JR Hartley for those of you in the UK of a certain vintage ) No, I'm sorry was the usual polite answer (sorry for this poor deluded tourist looking for the holy grail!).

In one shop the guy said if you go around the corner we have a pile of second hand cases. I thanked him and wondered if he was just trying to show me the door politely as I tentatively went round the corner. Sure enough, there was a stack of cases at the end of a narrow cul-de-sac which I scanned and was not impressed by the expensive modern stuff I saw. However as I pivoted on my heals to leave I saw a sign saying 'Junk'!

I smiled to myself and looked down and there at the top of a pile of gear was a small vintage style tweed case, the type you use for effects pedals. I laughed out loud and picked it up, opening it up to see the lovely velour red interior. Interesting but how much? I got my phone out for th calculator to check my mental arithmetic and sure enough it was 6!

I though, Im having this and tucked it under my arm before returning to the pile to check out the other gold dust. Lo and behold, directly under the tweed case was a Zoom G2.1 effects unit. Now I am aware that opinions vary on these but this was solid and at 4 (yes 4 quid!) I thought it was worth a punt event if it didnt work (I checked the voltage spec and got a UK instruction booklet on line). So here is my handy work for that days shopping:

The punchline is that the effects pedal works and is an interesting toy to mess around with however it also fits in the tweed case! Result for 10
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok running out of photos so hope you enjoyed what I have posted and it was worth the wait. i could have taken so many more shots and found a few more shops but time was limited. You can bet your bottom dollar that I will be back as it is a beautiful country with some great shopping!

Just a note on tax free - you are menat to carry your passport with you at all times as a tourist in Japan but you will need ot produce it for the tax free sign off.

I leave you with a look at some more Randy Rhoads gear:

Top of the range custom made, only 2572! I can but dream
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post script: I couldnt resist a shot of our hotel room. I couldnt get on with the heated seat and didnt want musical accompanyment but i will leave you to work out what the other buttons do:

gordon
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, looks exciting! Wanna go!
3rdstone
Guitar God

Location: Hagstrom Guitars, ABBA, Yngwie, Meshuggah, Volvo and IKEA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for sharing the pics! Looks like an awesome trip.
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the feedback chaps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: