• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

UK - 2006 Gibson Firebird V with Zhangbucker pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proflonghair

Reaction score
P1060844.jpg

Firstly, please forgive the state of my garden in that pic. I've since tidied it up A LOT.

Now that that's out of the way...

Up for sale is my 2006 Gibson Firebird V reissue in cherry finish. I've had it for five years, and I love it to bits, but something slightly daft (and I speak as a Firebird and a Longhorn owner) has been waved in my direction. It's been played a lot (I love it - wide flat neck, almost like a shredder) but is in good nick - player's grade, maybe? It's got the original banjo tuners (dull Firebird fact: the machine that makes these tuners was destroyed when the Gibson Factory flooded - that's why they all have Steinberger tuners now), finish is starting to check up lovely (see pic below), there are weird (hard to see) sworls on the pickguard where a previous owner must have had the most peculiar picking style ever.

P1060843.jpg

The pickups Gibson drops in the reissue Firebirds are notoriously one dimensional and wound to some crazy high output: I had David at Zhangbucker make me a pair of his pickups (he calls the set the Waylon) and they're brilliant - low output, classic Firebird sounds. When I wired them in, I also swapped out all the pots for 500k CTS pots (again, true to the originals, unlike what Gibson sling in from stock), and added some PIO caps for good measure - a .015 cap at the neck and a .022 at the bridge. I like 50s wiring, so have set it up like that. Before/after shots below:

BEFORE: standard Gibson
firewire1.jpg

AFTER: PIOs etc.
firewire3.jpg

I've still got the original pickups, if you want to buy it and return it to not-as-good (I think I've got the original pots and wiring too, but can't guarantee that).

It's got an Epiphone Firebird hardcase, which fits it fine. And is the size of a front door. Firebird hardcases are hilarious.

I'd like £750 for it, in light of the fact it's already got the right pickups in it, and comes with a hard case. There's no way in the world I'm posting a Firebird - I'm near Junction 13 of the M5; happy to meet the buyer half way or within 50 miles of my home, whichever is shorter for me.

Holler with any questions, have a look at the checking before you go...

P1060842.jpg

Latest posts

Back